We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Alive and kicking!  (Read 3317 times)

Michael

Alive and kicking!
« on: February 17, 2010, 03:25:41 PM »
Hello all :)

I've been absent for a while, but now that things are less hectic, there is more than enough time to take a short break and show you the project that had kept me busy for the last couple of months, a greenhouse. This is the third one, and by far the biggest I've ever built. I had to tear down 2 stone walls and secure a cave with a huge pillar before actually start the foundations and the metallic structure of the greenhouse itself, which is standing just in front of these walls.
I'm by no means a bricklayer, but this time i had to do the welding, sawing and concrete stuff all by myself, as my father has been busy with a few architecture projects of his own so he could not assist me.
Time is running out quickly... as I need to have this greenhouse ready and the plants inside it before I leave my homeland for a few years...

Here are a few pictures...

This is one of the walls that were in risk, so i had to dig the soil out from behind it, then tear it down, and rebuild it, this time with concrete. Those stones are a lot heavier than I though :D

Now the concrete pillar for the cave system:

The metal bar that will support the back of the greenhouse cover:

The front of it a few days ago...

and now:

And this is a man made cave which is more than 100 years old and dug up with pickaxe. They will be part of the greenhouse, and supply a perfect spot for shade dwellers

The entrances:

All these roughness's will be covered with epiphytes very soon :)

And a few more pictures of the place:

And that is all for now! I barely cannot wait to see this thing ready!
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
Re: Alive and kicking!
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 03:33:09 PM »
Wow, Mike - a lot of work done, but still a lot of work to do. Please keep us in touch.

Why do you leave Madeira and where do you go??
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 05:06:30 PM »
Hi Mike,

glad to see you're still alive. I'm curious: which plants are you going to grow in the cave?
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 07:39:03 PM »
Good Heavens Michael, what a project this is. I hope it proceeds well for you.

With Thomas, I ask why leave Madeira, where will you go and who will look after your new greenhouse and its plants when you are away?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Michael

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 08:46:25 PM »
Wim, im going to plant folliage plants like Marantas and alike, Dieffenbachia, Aspidistra, Begonia, etc. It has a south exposition, so gets plenty of bright light in the afternoon. Even the darkest places are bright enough for things like Aspidistra :D

Lesley and Thomas, next month I'm heading to an interview at Kew, and then I'm hopefully going to study horticulture there for, at least, 3 years. My mother and another friend will be held responsible for my plants, and I am pretty sure they can handle them well.
I'm installing automatic watering systems and a watering regime schedule for each group of plants, plus a pest and disease identification chart.

And I'll be monitoring my collection at distance, via cam pictures, so I'm confident that i will have few, if any, losses :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 09:29:49 PM by Michael »
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 08:51:52 PM »
Wow Michael that is an amazing project - well done you for putting so much work into it.  And very good luck with the interview, working at Kew would be fantastic!
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 09:18:36 PM »
Michael, wishing you all the very best for your interview.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 01:46:49 AM »
Yes indeed, we will all be rooting for you at the Kew interview. If you are successful, and go to live in the UK for a while, you'll be able to visit many Forum members, see the shows and generally take a larger part in gardening activities than perhaps you can in Madeira. Best of luck with it all. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 06:09:19 AM »
Michael,
best of luck with the interview! Just show them pics of what you've built in the last couple of months - that'll impress'em! ;D
If you are in the UK next year we'll arrange to meet up when we come over for the Alpines 2011 Conference!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 09:08:37 AM »
I hope you can make it for Kew Michael !!
If you're admitted, you can expect to see a lot of familiar "Forum" faces there ... !  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2010, 03:01:27 PM »
Good luck for Kew, Mike!!!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2010, 06:58:41 PM »
wow--what a project! congratulations, good luck (project and kew), and looking forward to seeing the finished work!

Michael

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2010, 10:15:11 PM »
Hi all and thanks a lot for the support!

I think the worst part is the selection process to get the interview... Like somebody told me today, Kew is THE place... and hordes of people worldwide apply to enter. I feel somehow lucky on getting an interview at first attempt, as i was rather thinking the opposite!

I'm also very excited and looking forward to meet you all either on the Alpines conference, at Kew, or even on your own country, who knows?

More updates of the greenhouse will follow soon!

Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 09:27:28 PM »
I hope that you and yours are okay Michael, and that the torrential rain hasn't damaged your great plant collection.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 10:18:53 PM »
I was just posting something similar in the weather thread...... we've been a out all day and come back to this news about the mudlsides and deaths in Madeira.... saw some frightening footage on the news. Hope Michael and his family and friends are safe.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal