We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bletilla  (Read 3907 times)

johanneshoeller

Bletilla
« on: June 20, 2009, 09:47:58 AM »
Now the first Bletillas are flowering.
Bletilla striata alba and sinensis
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Bletilla
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2009, 10:52:05 AM »
Nice markings on the sinensis.  I've only ever seen B. striata here in Aus.  No idea whether anyone grows any of the other species.  Some lovely named hybrids around too I think, but not here in Aus.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

LarsB

• The Fearless One
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 09:15:47 PM »
Two beautiful bletillas. The alba looks huge compared to the ones i've seen. Do you know if sinensis is frosthardy?

Kind regards

Lars
Lars in Roedovre, Denmark.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2009, 01:07:21 PM »
2 nice Bletillas
Hans Hoeller passed away, after a long illness, on 5th November 2010. His posts remain as a memory of him.

Eric Locke

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 11:08:55 PM »

Hans, are these named varieties ?

Eric

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 11:46:39 PM »
Both are glorious, Hans.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

johanneshoeller

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 06:45:51 AM »
Eric,
I think the second plant is B. ochracea and the first is unknown. The flowers are outside dark red and inside much lighter.
Hans

Eric Locke

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2009, 11:35:00 PM »

Hans

First plant looks very nice. There are so many new hybrids appearing now, but many are difficult to obtain.
Ochracea is a plant I have had for a few years but refuses to flower for me. :'( ,so I have recently obtained some new stock . I understand that the colour varies a lot between different clones.

Eric

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2009, 09:05:41 PM »
And this thing is? , it had to be Bletilla striata alba, the flower is approximately means in largeness of the Bletilla striata
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Maxime_P

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 05:23:42 PM »
Nice plants !!  ;)

Many orchid growers aren't interested into this genus because of their availability in garden centers for some species/hybrids, but they don't realize how wrong they are ...

Bletilla (szetschuanica) formosana

Maxime

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2009, 12:20:29 AM »
But that hardiness and ease of growing makes it so much easier for other non orchid people to buy them and start catching the orchid bug, instead of buying something really exotic and losing it, then giving up on orchids totally.  Breeding the Bletillas to give a range of colours etc would bring them to so many more people, in situations where they can grow an orchid outside in the ground in many places where they traditionally can't.  Unfortunately the elitist nature of so many collectors does minimise the availability of so many things.  ::)

Glad we can enjoy them all here though.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

arilnut

« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2010, 08:02:56 PM »
Hello friends. I just dug some of my Bletilla's and thought I would show some pics.

1- B. ochracea I paid over 20 USD for this spring. That is a 25 cent coin in by it.
2- B. striata just dug showing size they can get to.
3- Where I have them growing.
John  B.
Hopelessly hooked on Aril Iris

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal