We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus February 2010  (Read 105916 times)

Thomas Seiler

• Hocus-pocus, up comes crocus!
Re: Galanthus February 2010
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 08:41:18 PM »
Hello from Germany, :)

this was the first day here with sunshine and a temperature of 8°C.
Nothing as exceptional as Tony's plant in my garden, but maybe nice to see them piercing through the snow  :)

G. 'Henham No 1'
G. 'Richard Ayres'
G. 'North Star'
G. 'Ding Dong'
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2010, 08:45:25 PM »
Lovely Thomas, could you possibly take a picture of the inside of 'North Star' as I have lost a label and want to confirm which it is.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2010, 08:52:40 PM »
Hello Brian, I tried to do so today, but it was impossible ... or I would have to help with my other hand . Maybe next weekend, tomorrow I have to work. 'North Star' is a double one, a seedling of 'Lady Beatrix Stanley' and said to hail from Phil Cornish.
SW Germany, 186 m, wine growing region in the valley of the river Neckar near Heidelberg.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2010, 09:24:56 PM »
Thomas,

Good to see your snowdrops - battling the snow to put on their display.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

snowdropman

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2010, 09:51:07 PM »
'North Star' is a double one, a seedling of 'Lady Beatrix Stanley' and said to hail from Phil Cornish.

Hello Thomas - thanks for posting your photo's, there is something very special about snowdrops emerging through the snow!

'North Star' is one of John Sales discoveries - in his talk at the 2006 Galanthus Gala he said "Another seedling found in the garden [his garden at 'Covertside'] is similar to 'Lady Beatrix Stanley’ but earlier flowering and more star-shaped. It increases rapidly and is very free-flowering, producing dense masses of flowers, I call it 'North Star’."
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2010, 10:34:44 PM »
Danke Thomas, these are the first galanthus pics, coming from Germany this year. We have more than 40cm of snow in the East of Germany. We learn to wait here and enjoy the pics from a warm Western world. 
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2010, 10:45:04 PM »
Thomas - Very nice ones.  The Henham #1 is very smart looking.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2010, 01:04:33 AM »
Galanthus x allenii, a little beauty but one that should be constantly monitored in a collection.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2010, 02:42:16 AM »
Why does x allenii need monitoring?
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »
Hello Brian, I tried to do so today, but it was impossible ... Maybe next weekend, tomorrow I have to work.

Thanks Thomas, no hurry!  Two snowdrops came with labels that disintegrated before I realised it - I must have been on holiday I think when the disaster happened - or on the computer looking at the forum ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #40 on: February 05, 2010, 10:47:29 AM »
A couple of shots of my cold frames, and a couple of shots of a pot of snowdrops marked 'Specials'.  Unfortunately I have no reference on the specials - I think I was given them last year by a friend.  Think they are elwesii - can someone confirm please.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2010, 11:52:46 AM »
A few Snowdrop pictures from me, just to prove I do grow a few. These I claim no cultural praise for as I bought them from the sales table at our local AGS Group meeting last Wednesday from a batch brought in by a local grower, Dot Underhill. Further stock for a little bed I am developing (if I ever get a dry day to continue it) which will be just for Galanthus.

Just a special note for my friend Mike Quest who "lurks" around the Forum. Look good Mike!

Galanthus 'Magnet'
Galanthus 'John Grey'

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #42 on: February 05, 2010, 12:18:28 PM »
I thought 'John Gray' would have been past in Devon by now David? Mine is out here in the garden Dunblane.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #43 on: February 05, 2010, 12:30:37 PM »
'John Gray' is out in force in Kent too Anthony.

I must admit that I am considering getting rid of it from my garden as it annoys me each year the way it flops everywhere!   :-\     Last year I moved it so that it was at the edge of a raised bed in the hope that it would fall gracefully over the edge - but nooooo.....  it flops ungracefully in the opposite direction.  ::)
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Thomas Seiler

« Reply #44 on: February 05, 2010, 12:31:57 PM »
'North Star' is a double one, a seedling of 'Lady Beatrix Stanley' and said to hail from Phil Cornish.

'North Star' is one of John Sales discoveries - in his talk at the 2006 Galanthus Gala he said "Another seedling found in the garden [his garden at 'Covertside'] is similar to 'Lady Beatrix Stanley’ but earlier flowering and more star-shaped. It increases rapidly and is very free-flowering, producing dense masses of flowers, I call it 'North Star’."

Thank you very much for pointing that out, Chris. I even was one of the listeners of that talk by John Sales, but did not remember. It was the Gala without a sound system  :) Now I read the transcript again and realized, that I visited his garden when the 2004 Gala was at Cirencester. Well, all that makes 'North Star' now much more precious for me. It flowered for the first time this year in my garden. A friend brought it two years ago from the snowdrop event at East Lambrook Manor. Presumeable she bought it from Phil Cornish, therefore the note on my index card, which I keep, quite old fashioned, for each variety.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal