We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica  (Read 109527 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Hepatica
« Reply #330 on: December 14, 2007, 09:51:02 AM »
Joakim, the Link you posted for me works fine with and with an English version. It must have been a corrupt Link in my Bookmarks. Thanks very much.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #331 on: December 14, 2007, 09:52:34 AM »
Try this link

http://www.hepatica.se/undermenyer/buy.htm

The website says plants will be delivered October/November so it may be too late this year.

It's also worth noting that they accept payment in Euros and GB Pounds.

When I had to transfer some money in Euros on a different site, my bank charged a hefty fee.

Rob, thanks for that.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #332 on: December 14, 2007, 10:27:57 AM »
David You can always e-mail them about the plants You want. I do not think the ground is frozen yet and if the weather is good then they might be transported.

Good luck and let us know if You are sucsesfull.
Kind regards
Joakim

PS here we see the advantages with euros in the whole Europe. No bank fees and easier to pay abroad.
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #333 on: December 14, 2007, 04:49:25 PM »
Joakim, it's the wrong time of year, pocket wise, for me to buy more plants, and particularly so since I need to spend the vast proportion of the kid's inheritance on more seeds of all kinds of things; so I shall do the next best thing and drool over pictures instead. :D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #334 on: December 14, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »

PS here we see the advantages with euros in the whole Europe. No bank fees and easier to pay abroad.

Cor! I nearly missed that, I can't let that go without comment!! Already having slipped into 'agreeing' to a European constitution without any kind of voter consent, thanks to Gordon Bean, (or is it Brown?), many of us, in the UK, would really dig in our heels if going into the Euro surfaced again. Our politicians just dare not do it (I think!) :D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #335 on: December 14, 2007, 05:13:49 PM »
David have You not been a nice boy? Will Santa not bring any hepaticas to You?

David when we entered European Union we did a referendum but since the politicians did not dare to have Sweden outside they did not have the Euro as part of the referendum. That came a few years later when we had a bit of a recession and Norway was enjoying the oil money so people thought if Norway is doing fine so can we and we can always join later when the rest of Europe already have joined so that they can determine how we enter on their terms. It was a clear NO!
We have already promised Bruxelles to join but not really when.
I am very pro EURO and one reason is to be less dependent on US and the dollar. The other is the easy of moving (and shopping) around if there is one currency in the most parts of Europe. Hopefully that will bring us closer and eliminate the risk of war even further.
Sorry to glide off topic
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #336 on: December 14, 2007, 08:44:02 PM »
Joakin,to answer your question,the pictures are of precocious flowers only and until the main flowering begins I will not know whether I have anymore decent results.It takes about 5yrs.before you produce a strong plant from seed that you are able to assess for its true qualities.I have about 200 growing in 1ltr.deep pots that are between 3 and 4 yrs.old and judging from the flowers that were produced last year I am not expecting to see anything exciting but one lives in hope.All of my plants are open pollinated so it is a question of pot-luck I'm afraid.Unfortunately to have something outstanding we have to look to the japanese and they come at a price as we all know,but having said that there are many very nice unamed japonicas that to many people just as attractive if not more so.It is all in the eye of the beholder as they say.
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #337 on: December 15, 2007, 05:59:11 PM »
Hi John and thanks for the information.
John I do not know what excites You but the one You show sure excite me and many more so if the others are similar You should be lucky.  8) Or did You meen that the ones that had already flowered were "just" standard blue?

Anyway 200 flowering hepaticas will make a nice view I bet. Hard to wait to see them flower, but for the one waiting for something good the wait is never to long.
There are actually some quite nice japanese that are on the site that has previously been mentioned that cost from 10€ and up to 30€ and there You have a lot to choose from.
Then there are the ones that cost 300€ and that is a bit too steep I would say.
My advantage or problem is that I can not always see which would cost 30€ or 300€ ::) 8) ;D.
Here is the link for the curious.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&u=http://www.yukiwarisou-tachi.com/&sa=X&oi=translate&resnum=6&ct=result&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dyukiwarisou%26start%3D10%26hl%3Den%26client%3Dsafari%26rls%3Den%26sa%3DN

Kind regards
Joakim

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #338 on: December 19, 2007, 11:29:44 AM »
We're a LONG way from Hepaticas in this part of the world, but I am still enjoying the leaves on them, particularly of some very nice seedlings from seed received from John Forrest and Mark Smyth last year or the year before.  Definitely adds something when the leaves are still there and good to look at even though the flowers are long gone.

Every time I see new Hepaticas I keep finding more that I want..... 'Kyumi' is absolutely breathtaking John G.  And that lovely flat double pale yellow earlier in the discussion.  And the..... (I'd best leave it there or we'll be here all night).  Enjoying the fantastic pics everyone, and will definitely go and look at the new site when it is up, even if it will be somewhat frustrating as I won't be able to buy!!  ::) 
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #339 on: December 23, 2007, 09:14:53 AM »
I was just wondering when is the best time to buy Hepaticas?  ??? I am thinking on mail ordered plants, since I presume one can buy potted plants any time (provided they exist).
I am also wondering how is hepaticas packed?  ???
I am only familiar with buying orchids and they are transported dormant bare or with some spagnum.
Kind regards
Joakim

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #340 on: December 23, 2007, 10:16:21 AM »
any I have bought mail order are bare rooted but I would think potted are better. What species are you looking for?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #341 on: December 23, 2007, 10:38:25 AM »
Mark
I am looking for nobilis and transylvanica
Joakim

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #342 on: December 23, 2007, 01:37:47 PM »
I can get you nobilis pot grown from a local nursery in small pots
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #343 on: December 24, 2007, 11:35:07 AM »
Mark
That is a fine offer I will send a PM to You.
Short version I will PM U

Kind regards
Joakim

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #344 on: January 19, 2008, 10:42:48 PM »
Hello, Folks, I have split off the posts from January 2008 into a new Hepatica 2008 page......
see here:  http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1223.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal