We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2010  (Read 74317 times)

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
Re: Hepatica 2010
« Reply #270 on: March 26, 2010, 09:20:01 AM »
Mark read this from the Wisley alpine Log.

COMPOST MIX

I use: 1 part John Innes no.3, 1 part leaf mould, 1 part perlite and 1 part composted bark, (all parts by volume). I add 3g per litre of mix of Vitax Q4 fertiliser and 2g of dolomitic limestone per litre of mix
REPOTTING

Repot each year just after flowering. This must be done very carefully and remember patience is a virtue - shake off all the old compost and look closely at the roots.

HOT TIP: - Now's the time to remove any damaged roots. Also look for any swollen nodules on the roots and cut these off - these may be a nematode pest. If the roots are madly vigorous they may be cut back by about one third.

Position the crown of the plant high in the pot, and fill to the brim with compost, then gently tap the pot on the bench just to settle it. Label immediately - you can't afford to get names mixed up or misplaced!
Water in afterwards and the job is done.

HOT TIP: - Do not pot too firmly. Don't squash the compost and hold the crown at the right level so that you don't bury it as you fill the pot.
WATERING & FEEDING

I always water early in the morning when it's coolest. Liquid feeding can be done in spring and autumn but withheld during summer. I feed with a balanced fertiliser and also give them some liquid seaweed extract feeds.
Water more frequently in early spring, less in summer & autumn, but never allow Hepatica's to dry out completely. During summer I damp down the floor and between the pots to increase humidity.

HOT TIP: - Remember to tell the plants how beautiful they are and say "Please grow well for me"!! My colleagues think I'm a bit mad but I know it works.

SHADING

Hepaticas' natural habitat is very dense woodland, and should be heavily shaded as soon as the flowers have finished. I put shading on the glass and also move the plants under the benches where it is even shadier. In November I take all the shading off again and put the plants back on the bench - winter light encourages better flowering.

HOT TIP:- The plants will tell you when it's time to shade - immediately after flowering, shading on and as the autumn leaves start to fall it is shading off. Keep it simple.
VENTILATION

Hepatica's like to be well ventilated so I have 2 fans blowing air on them constantly

PROPAGATION

Seed does not often come true, so if you want to ensure that offspring are identical to the parent then dividing is the thing to do. Do this while repotting - CAREFULLY teasing plants apart. Each individual crown with roots attached can be potted separately. If you don't mind the variation, growing from seed is fairly easy. Seed must be collected while still green i.e. very fresh or it will not germinate. Sow immediately onto a compost of equal parts of John Innes seed compost, leafmould and perlite. Cover with 0.5cm of grit, water gently in and place in a shady position. Germination will occur the following spring. This may be 10 months after sowing, so patience helps! I leave them to develop during their first summer, and then in late September or early October remove and carefully separate the young plants and pot individually

GOOD HOUSEKEEPING

My favourite, I do like to keep my house in order! So I'm daily looking at my plants and removing the odd fading flower petals, to stop them falling into the crown of the plant as this can cause rotting. I also remove any leaves that look diseased or damaged.

HOT TIP: - When deadheading the hepaticas, be careful not to damage the crown of the plant. Only remove old flower stems when they pull out easily.

You can all enjoy the beauty of this unusual Alpine. I can think of nothing better for early spring when they express pure beauty and charm. Good luck and happy growing!

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #271 on: March 26, 2010, 08:32:12 PM »
al of my H.yamatutai have these divided bracts

Chris, just a follow up on the  H.yamatutai hyb. I just noticed today that my hyb plant has the leaves divided like the bracts on H.yamatutai
It is the only one in my collection with this leaf.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #272 on: March 26, 2010, 08:49:26 PM »
Thanks Michael
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

johngennard

• heaps of hepaticas
« Reply #273 on: March 26, 2010, 09:12:38 PM »
Some transylvanica cultivars flowering outside.

Karpetenkronen
Harvington Beauty
Ellison Spence

and one that I missed from the greenhouse although it can be grown outside.Haven't had the courage to try it yet

Millstream Merlin
John Gennard in the heart of Leics.

angie

« Reply #274 on: March 26, 2010, 10:09:33 PM »
Michael... thanks too ,lots of great information to help me.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #275 on: March 26, 2010, 10:42:23 PM »
Millstream Merlin is very nice - good shape and colour.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #276 on: March 27, 2010, 12:21:39 AM »
Some transylvanica cultivars flowering outside.

Karpetenkronen
Harvington Beauty
Ellison Spence

and one that I missed from the greenhouse although it can be grown outside.Haven't had the courage to try it yet

Millstream Merlin

Ooohhh, so much beautifu; blue, there's never too much blue.  Is the 'Millstream Merlin' from the late Linc Foster, who's garden name was 'Millstream'?  The depth of blue color and bright yellow center, make this one a standout!
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #277 on: March 27, 2010, 03:34:33 AM »
"Millstream Merlin" originated at Linc Foster's garden "Millstream".

He may mention it in the book he wrote.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

TheOnionMan

« Reply #278 on: March 27, 2010, 03:40:14 AM »
"Millstream Merlin" originated at Linc Foster's garden "Millstream".

He may mention it in the book he wrote.

It is not mentioned in Linc Foster's "Rock Gardening" book.  I've been told the plant is Hep. transsilvanica x H. nobilis americana (= x media).
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #279 on: March 29, 2010, 10:57:22 PM »
I saw it at Hexham show on Saturday - a really good deep pure blue. Flowers all female as far as I could see, so no stamens to sully the blueness. One I will bewatching out for.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #280 on: March 30, 2010, 04:50:50 PM »
Ivor Betteridge's plant of Hepatica 'Millstream Merlin' that won a First in the 1 pan Ranunculaceae Class at Exeter last Saturday
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

TheOnionMan

« Reply #281 on: March 30, 2010, 05:21:28 PM »
Ivor Betteridge's plant of Hepatica 'Millstream Merlin' that won a First in the 1 pan Ranunculaceae Class at Exeter last Saturday

Easy to see why that plant won, must be the bluest of blue hepatica ever, and those yellow-button centers really set off the color.  I've never seen this plant offered in nurseries here, but it must be in the USA if it is a Millstream Garden plant from Farmington, Connecticut (about 115 miles southwest of me).  I will search for it.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #282 on: March 30, 2010, 05:29:57 PM »
McMark.... perhaps John Lonsdale might have it?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #283 on: March 30, 2010, 08:28:28 PM »
'Millstream Merlin' received an AM in 1989 & I read about it many years ago. The description I saw did not mention the fact that it lacked stamens. As far as I am concerned, & despite the striking colour, this makes it a no-no.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #284 on: March 30, 2010, 08:38:57 PM »
'Millstream Merlin' received an AM in 1989 & I read about it many years ago. The description I saw did not mention the fact that it lacked stamens. As far as I am concerned, & despite the striking colour, this makes it a no-no.

Can you explain  ???
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal