We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hepatica 2010  (Read 74136 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Hepatica 2010
« Reply #345 on: April 29, 2010, 05:53:10 AM »
göte--you only have the latest hepaticas because i don't have any  (just watching a seedpot  ;D--very little has started growing here, yet! and now we have at least 10cm of snow since this afternoon, and it is still coming! but i am happy because it was very dry before..

once again i find myself liking transylvannica best, but lilac and white are great too...

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #346 on: May 01, 2010, 04:52:29 PM »
Some hepatica photos from the wonderful Rundle Wood Gardens here in Calgary (specialty grower of alpine and woodland plants); some are named cultivars, others are spontaneous crosses... they are a little droopy after snow overnight last weekend.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

kalle-k.dk

• Karl Kristensen's Garden
« Reply #347 on: May 08, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
We have got this Hepatica nobilis 'Kinna' from a good friend who has had this Hepatica in his garden in about 15 years. He bought it in England, but can not remember the name of the nursery, We guess it comes from Sweden, because the name sounds Swedish. Are there some who knows something about this Hepatica?.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 07:16:42 PM by kalle-k.dk »
Karl Kristensen
Denmark. www.kalle-k.dk

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #348 on: May 19, 2010, 06:16:50 AM »
Some hepatica photos from the wonderful Rundle Wood Gardens here in Calgary (specialty grower of alpine and woodland plants); some are named cultivars, others are spontaneous crosses... they are a little droopy after snow overnight last weekend.

Hi Lori,
we visited Rod and Llyn in 1999 - do they still own this nursery/garden? They were wonderful hosts and we loved their garden. We even got some hepatica seed from them, carefully brought back to Melbourne sealed inside individual plastic drinking straws - but alas - no germination!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #349 on: May 19, 2010, 10:51:22 AM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #350 on: May 19, 2010, 03:04:04 PM »
Sorry, Fermi, I did not see your question, which, nonetheless, has been ably answered by Maggi!  
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #351 on: May 20, 2010, 12:24:49 AM »
Thanks, Maggi and Lori.
Say "hi" to them for us when you next see them, Lori,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #352 on: May 20, 2010, 08:58:30 AM »
Since I have mentioned the 'Dalsland' clone of double reds i think that I should show the foliage as well.
The picture shows it when it is just fully developed.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

arisaema

« Reply #353 on: May 20, 2010, 09:37:11 AM »
Thanks for the picture, Göte, that looks identical to my own plant bought in Denmark!

Gunilla

« Reply #354 on: May 20, 2010, 05:11:27 PM »
Yes Göte, that is exactly how the leaves look at my plants too.
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Vilma D

« Reply #355 on: September 04, 2010, 11:22:31 AM »
Hello,

I wonder if I am lucky to catch somebody popping in to check on the screen.  The autumn gardening is such a busy time. 

I am in the need of some reassurance and advice...  I have a slight worry about a few of my hepatica plants.  A week ago I noticed that one of my Hepaticas has opened its flower bud.  As well as pleasantly surprised I thought this unusual.  One way or another, hepaticas are supposed to flower in the spring ???...  However, by the end of this week at least 3 of my different hepaticas are in flower!  Well…in my case when saying in flower, I mean a single flower per hepatica.

Even though it is delightful to see their beautiful flowers, I am confused and worried...  If it is a trick of nature, will my hepaticas have enough energy to survive the cold winter?  Will they flower again in the spring?  What am I doing wrong?  What can I do to slow them down (put them back into rest).

My Hepaticas are in small pots placed in the tiny 3-tear poly greenhouse outside.  In the east facing garden the shade creeps in as soon as the midday, so I have removed the shading layering in hope to let the green leaves to enjoy the last of the sun and store some energy to develop large buds.  However, last week we had some frost and fearing for the safety of my plants I was bringing them inside for the night.  Can this be that trigger? 

I hope you will be able to offer me an advice.

Thank you.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #356 on: September 04, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
I am in the need of some reassurance and advice...  I have a slight worry about a few of my hepatica plants.  A week ago I noticed that one of my Hepaticas has opened its flower bud.  As well as pleasantly surprised I thought this unusual.  One way or another, hepaticas are supposed to flower in the spring ???...  However, by the end of this week at least 3 of my different hepaticas are in flower!  Well…in my case when saying in flower, I mean a single flower per hepatica. 

Vilma, this is quite a usual occurence with me too.  I have at the moment about three pots with a single flower open in each, they are in different situations, so I don't think it's to do with aspect etc.  I don't know why they do it, it's a bit like an occasional late (or is it early?) flower on a primula or rhododendron.  I don't think what you are doing is necessarily encouraging it, and I don't know what you can do to discourage it, but I certainly wouldn't worry, as it doesn't seem to affect what they do in the spring.   
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #357 on: September 04, 2010, 04:59:37 PM »
It happens occasionally in the wild too. Usually they do not repeat the performance next year. Anemone nemorosa sometimes does the same. In that case most of a clump (which of course is the same clone) does it.
No harm seem to come of it.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

angie

« Reply #358 on: September 04, 2010, 09:05:20 PM »
Hi Vilma I have one of my Hepaticas in flower as well, mine are just outside in pots at the base of my greenhouse. Last year was the same, but like Diane has said it's nothing to worry about.
Hope you enjoy your Hepaticas I just love them and when you see some of our members plants on the forum it just makes you want more.
Will look forward to see your plants in the spring with lots of flowers on them. Good Luck.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Vilma D

« Reply #359 on: September 05, 2010, 07:53:19 PM »
Dear ladies and Gote,

Thank you for putting my mind at rest.  I am relieved to learn that I am not the first and not alone :) and the situation is not critical...

I would simply hate it to lose these hepaticas.  Last year I lost 98% of all of my 2009 hepatica plants. I would simply be devastated if it happened again.  Many of my 2010 hepaticas were bought at Ashwood nursery to which I travelled all the way down by car.  The plants are doing so great so far.  I look forward to spring (already  ::) ) to discover what flowers will some of my hepaticas come up with.

Thanks again for your help.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal