We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ranunculus semiverticillatus  (Read 3037 times)

gmoen

• Geir Moen's website
Ranunculus semiverticillatus
« on: May 08, 2007, 08:13:32 PM »
............now what ?

I have two seedpots of this wonderful species, but I feel a bit unsecure about how I shall treat them the best way. This seeds germinated last year, and suvived the winter without any problems. The big question is if I should keep on growing them in the seedpots for one more year, or should I split them up now???

Even if I grow ONE plant of this species in my garden, it would be a pity too loose this plants.

Anyone out there that could come up with some thoughts about this ?

Geir
Norway

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Ranunculus semiverticillatus
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2007, 11:15:00 PM »
Hello Geir,
Let me say first that I have experience of just one plant so don't assume anything I write here is "best" advice. If I had several seedlings in one pot I would separate them as soon as they are big enough to handle as they will make a massive root system and very quickly, if they are happy.

Try one or two in pots but do please plant out a couple, if you have enough, in the open garden. Your climate shouldn't be too far away from their Andean home. My single plant grows very well but has never flowered and I'm pretty sure now - after 15 years! - that we are not cold enough. I look forward to seeing yours in flower some time. Incidentally, BECAUSE I've had mine for so long, in all sorts of weather including quite severe drought sometimes, I think it's not so difficult to grow. The very long, thick roots can delve deep into subsoil to remain cool and damp. Best of luck! :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Ranunculus semiverticillatus
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2007, 10:28:48 PM »
Good evening Geir,
Lesley sells herself SO VERY short!  This plant is the desire and frustration of every buttercup enthusiast and I am fairly sure that Lesley has one of the oldest, largest and most desirable plants in cultivation....can I covet anything more?
I have sown this gem at least three times now AND achieved germination on two occasions but they have failed to linger long after separation. I agree totally with Lesley, try two or three outside and the rest in large long-toms (directly without interim potting ons), but beware pampering them please.
Kind regards,
Cliff
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal