We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyrtanthus 2010  (Read 7334 times)

wooden shoe

Cyrtanthus 2010
« on: January 12, 2010, 06:38:11 PM »
Hi there,

I have some seedlings of Cyrtanthus epiphyticus and I don't really know how to treat them. From the picture from Rogan Roth on page 5 I see that they live on straight rocks under a mountain river in Drakensberg. Circumstances which are very much unlike Dutch circumstances. The seeds were sold as being hardy to zone 7 which sounds a bit optimistic.
Has anyone experience with this species? What about moisture and soil? Is it evergreen or does it needs a rest period?

Thank you,

Rob Luiken, Nederland
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyrtanthus 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2010, 06:46:39 PM »
Welcome, Rob!
While it is always useful to know where plants grow in their natural habitat, it must be remembered that it is usually impossible to recreate ALL features of that habitat in cultivation, so it can be that a little knowledge can be a dangerous thing! By this I mean that there are so many other factors to consider about what a plant needs or what it wants or what it is prepared to tolerate, that merely looking to replicate SOME of the natural features in your garden or glasshouse will surely not be successful. It is more a question of understanding what temperature range a plant lives in, when it gets water in its growth cycle, etc..... and balancing these details with life in captivity.... so, that's my theory as to how to understand the requirements of a plant.... now to hear from one of the experts around the Forum who has good experience of growing Cyrtanthus in conditions which might be close to your climate.....  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2010, 12:27:03 PM »
Hi Rob
I use peat with sand of quartz and pomice I hold, it in cold greenhouse, the feature like the other Cyrtanthus, and I do not have details problems
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

ArnoldT

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 05:15:35 PM »
Received this as an unknown.  Anybody know its identity?

Arnold
New Jersey

edit by maggi: Arnold your phot was rather larger than the Forum "norm" which has a maximum width of 760 pixels so I have resized and replaced it... :D
« Last Edit: January 16, 2010, 07:34:38 PM by Maggi Young »
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

wooden shoe

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2010, 05:44:31 PM »
Hello Alessandro,
Thank you for your reply. So your Cyrtanthus epiphyticus is kept unheated and will get full frost? Does it looses it's leaves by then or is is evergreen?

Rob
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

Alessandro.marinello

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2010, 06:07:31 PM »
Hi Rob
The temperature of the greenhouse and 4-5 degrees c., turns out to be evergreen, now is regulating the flower, creed in flower between two weeks
Padova N-E Italy climate zone 8

Juanba

• Ad astra per aspera
    • BULBOUS PLANTS
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:23:23 PM »
Hi all,

Flowering here for me at the moment is Cyrtanthus mackenii ssp cooperi. The flowers are really beautiful and sweetly scented.

I had pollinated this plant (selfed) for three years but it was not successful, so I have a doubt about that. Is cross pollination between different clones essential to produce seed?

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 06:28:45 PM by Juanba »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2010, 07:00:47 PM »
Really beautiful Juan, such a gorgeous yellow.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Juanba

• Ad astra per aspera
    • BULBOUS PLANTS
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 10:32:25 PM »
Thanks David.

Luar

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/21918811@N07/
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2010, 12:54:56 AM »
Dear all,

First of all, I would like to express my thanks to Alberto and Hans for introducing me to this exciting forum!  I am new to this forum and this is actually my very first post...

I attach an image showing 3 flower spikes: the one in the middle is Cyrtanthus staadensis and the other two are Cyrtanthus spiralis.  The flowers do look quite similar to each other but Cyrtanthus spiralis develops spiral leaves.  I grow these two Cyrtanthus species in pure sand.  Sharp drainage is necessary particularly in cultivation as the bulbs are prone to rotting if they are given too much watering.

Luar
« Last Edit: February 15, 2010, 10:41:39 AM by Maggi Young »
Welcome to my world of geophytes: http://www.flickr.com/photos/21918811@N07/

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2010, 07:37:01 AM »
Hi Luar  :)

Welcome to the best forum of the world !
Enjoy your time here and have much fun

Nice to see this both plants flowering together !

Regards
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2010, 09:50:14 AM »
Welcome Luar. A very good first post and a genus I have had no success with so far.

Hans J, will you please let me know which tablets you are taking, I would like to order some :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »
David ,

I suppose you mean my new pic ( avatar ) .....
Like others here I have now also found a pic from earlier times - we have now here Fasching (carneval) and so it is a good possibility  ;D

To your question with my tablets  ::)
Ask for :
Isopropylprophenylbarbitursauresphenyldimentylaminopyrozolon

Hans 8)
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2010, 12:15:29 PM »
 ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Hristo

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2010, 05:37:40 PM »
I shall add my welcome Luar, a super first post with more to come no doubt!
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal