We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulbs from South Africa - 2010  (Read 59285 times)

Hristo

Bulbs from South Africa - 2010
« on: January 09, 2010, 11:41:04 AM »
Moved from 2009!
Flowering after a 5 / 6 year gap, what I have as;
Lachenalia bachmanii
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 11:57:06 AM by Hristo »
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Bulbs from South Africa - 2010
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2010, 10:04:42 PM »
THat's nice Chris and very early. Looks as if it could be one of the scented species?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 06:09:11 AM »
chris, how do you make out with these tender bulbs you have inside? do you have problems with midwinter light? do they go outside part of the year?

Hristo

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2010, 07:22:31 AM »
Hi Lesley,
Sadly, no this isn't scented and is further regarded as being of botanical interest only in at least one of the monographs on this genus. Not so exciting when compared to other species I guess.

Cohan,
All ( apart from some that ended up outside - R.tetragona and G.tristis ) our tender bulbs are pot grown on windowsills, we are lucky in that in re-building the house intereior ourselves we bult in fairly deep windowsills, we have no North facing windows and the majority are large South and West facing windows. If the bulbs are started into growth late August into Eearly September lower mid winter light levels don't seem to be a big problem, certainly less of a problem than they were in the UK growing in a heated greenhouse.
I'll set up a short thread for photos of the windowsills!! :D
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 01:33:32 PM by Hristo »
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

pel1

• I am James, I grow pelargonium, SA bulbs, and more
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
Hi,
Re recent discussions about raising gladioli fromn seeds, here is a photo of the "Bag" method I use for all SA bulb species. It is vital that the soil is sterilised before sowing.
reards, James.
North Kent, UK

Ray

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 11:16:17 AM »
Hi,
Re recent discussions about raising gladioli fromn seeds, here is a photo of the "Bag" method I use for all SA bulb species. It is vital that the soil is sterilised before sowing.
reards, James.

Does any body in the South use this method for SA seed? bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Hristo

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 12:03:37 PM »
James,
I've never sown my SA bulb seed this way, I am intrigued however by the possibility of getting more species on the go  by stringing them up in the window! Have you made any comprisons between germination rates in and outside of a bag?
Cheers
Chris

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 01:28:55 PM »
James i never tried it like that either but never really had a problem with my seed germinating but i haven't tried a lot of the trickier plants gladiolus are my my favourates when it comes to south african stuff but this year i am going to order a lot more moraea and others so will adopt this method for them,my only question is do i need to have got my seed set up in the bags before summer so as to get the full summer temps?
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Darren

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2010, 04:23:12 PM »
I don't use this method for bulbs (oddly though, I do use it for Conophytum and other South African succulents) but It is a good way of saving bench space!

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Darren

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2010, 04:45:23 PM »
The last of the Massonia for this season.

Massonia depressa is the biggest species and the first picture has my hand for scale. It (the flower, not my hand) has copious nectar and a yeasty smell, which is apparently related to it being pollinated by gerbils in nature. It doesn't seem any more attractive to our local rodents than the other Massonia though.  It certainly doesn't attract many insects however (and there are not many around in january anyway) so I will need to hand pollinate if I want seed.
The second pic is a closer shot of the inflorescence and the final shot is a close-up of one flower. I'm experimenting with the new lens I got for Christmas and the last shot (cropped) was hand-held, in natural light, from a metre away, I'm quite pleased with it! It shows the nectar.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2010, 04:48:41 PM »
I'm quite pleased with it

Indeed, why not be pleased both with the picture and the plant, Darren ?  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

angie

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2010, 06:30:43 PM »
Darren lovely plants and I cant get over the size 8), your plants look so healthy. How old is the plant that you are showing.
Will look forward to next years season.
Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2010, 06:35:41 PM »
That's a very good shot Darren.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

pel1

• I am James, I grow pelargonium, SA bulbs, and more
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2010, 06:53:33 PM »
Hello Davey,
I sow all my SA species during the English autumn/early winter, they seem to need cool (not freezing!) night temperatures to germinate, in habitat they would not survive as seedlings in an African summer.
good luck, James
North Kent, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2010, 07:02:33 PM »
I follow Brian Mathew's advice. Winter growers I sow in September and summer growers I sow early March.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal