We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus 2010  (Read 65658 times)

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
Re: Narcissus 2010
« Reply #525 on: November 04, 2010, 03:52:47 PM »
That sure is early !!
Thanks for giving us hope David !  :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #526 on: November 04, 2010, 06:14:11 PM »
Crikey! That's amazing.... as the rest of the UK turned the clocks back an hour these Guys  seems to have fast-forwarded several weeks! ;D ;D
These flowers are so wonderful.... still a shame that more folks do not grow them.
N. cantabricus foliosus is just coming into flower here too - more-or-less the same time as last year.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #527 on: November 06, 2010, 04:31:06 PM »
Hello all,

Last year my friend David, sent me these pictures and I am not sure if it is natural plant or a garden hybrid. It is a little N. tazetta growig between phragmites fields... is quite similar to N. canaliculatus...

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #528 on: November 10, 2010, 01:52:36 PM »
Hi Rafa,
This seems to be a small tazetta - the size might be influenced by the surrounding strong growing herbs!
Nice little daffodil!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #529 on: November 10, 2010, 08:43:35 PM »
Thank you Gerd, I will study quite better this population, I think it could be something natural.

Kees Green

« Reply #530 on: November 14, 2010, 06:15:29 AM »
Cant wait to see all the bulbocodium/cantabricus daffs from the Northern Hemisphere.
The cicadas are starting to sing here and when the finish I will have my first foliosus flowering, the years should go so quickly now
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #531 on: November 15, 2010, 07:21:03 PM »
My first of the new season.Narcissus romiexii ssp. romieuxiivar. mesatlanticus with loads more buds to come.

John Blanchard doesn't seem to feel that this is sufficiently distinct from var. romieuxii to perpetuate it's name.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 07:24:23 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #532 on: November 16, 2010, 08:44:42 PM »
Narcissus cantabricus subsp. cantabricus var. foliosus

This is the name used by Blanchard. The name accepted by RBG Kew is N. cantabricus subsp. cantabricus - curious since the plant seems morphologically distinct; it has a pedicel.

Edit: looking at the photo,  I wonder whether this is a hybrid since the style is yellow. According to Blanchard the style should be white.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 08:52:12 PM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #533 on: November 16, 2010, 09:52:44 PM »
Could somebody give me a name for the two Narcissus.  Birds removed the labels last year and I would like to put a name if possible.  

Photos taken on Saturday, and are in pairs.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 09:54:29 PM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #534 on: November 17, 2010, 10:26:01 PM »
Could somebody give me a name for the two Narcissus.  Birds removed the labels last year and I would like to put a name if possible.  
Art - they are narcissus ::)

but these white/cream/pale yellow winter flowering plants are fiendishly difficult to name accurately.  I would bung them into N cantabricus foliosus (agg).  Do you know if they were of wild origin or from cultiavted stock/seed?  If the latter the possibility of hybridity enters :P as gerry has alluded to re his plant in recent post.  Then there is Davids' N romieuxii romieuxii 'mesatlanticus' ... I have a N 'mesatlanticus' - bulbocodium type, late winter flowers bright yellow

yours confused as ever TG
PS you knew all this already I bet!

Gerry Webster

« Reply #535 on: November 17, 2010, 10:49:58 PM »
Art - they are narcissus ::)

but these white/cream/pale yellow winter flowering plants are fiendishly difficult to name accurately.  I would bung them into N cantabricus foliosus (agg).  Do you know if they were of wild origin or from cultiavted stock/seed?  If the latter the possibility of hybridity enters :P as gerry has alluded to re his plant in recent post.  Then there is Davids' N romieuxii romieuxii 'mesatlanticus' ... I have a N 'mesatlanticus' - bulbocodium type, late winter flowers bright yellow

yours confused as ever TG
PS you knew all this already I bet!

I am inclined to say they are virtually impossible to name accurately.
I  would put them under N. romieuxii (but not with any degree of confidence).

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #536 on: November 18, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »
I agree Gerry.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #537 on: November 18, 2010, 06:02:08 PM »
I would go with Tony as cantabricus types, as they seem to have white styles as noted by Maggi above.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Gerry Webster

« Reply #538 on: November 18, 2010, 08:18:32 PM »
On a closer look the second pair certainly seem to have white styles which points to N. cantabricus (or a cantabricus hybrid), though, since I can't see a pedicel in the photo, not N. cantabricus foliosus. In the first pair, the style looks yellowish on my screen so, who knows?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2010, 08:50:43 PM by Gerry Webster »

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #539 on: November 19, 2010, 04:31:57 PM »
Narcissus 'camoro' a present from Arthur flowering for the first time for me.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 04:49:03 PM by Tony Willis »
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal