We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: three nice little Iris species (well, maybe four)  (Read 7904 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
three nice little Iris species (well, maybe four)
« on: January 02, 2010, 12:54:46 AM »
Looking through my digital photos, thought I'd share a few photos, and ask a question regarding Iris suaveolens.

The first photo has two species shown, I. reichenbachii in the foreground, with two color forms (light yellow and blue) of I. lutescens (grown from Mike Salmon seed) in the background.  We have 30 cm of frozen snow, othewise I'd run outside to get my source info on I. reichenbachii.

I. suaveolens only flowers well 1 out of every 3-4 years, do others find it is fussy about flowering?  Seems to be very prone to inclement weather, less sturdy in that respect compared to other Iris.  I uploaded 3 views taken in one of its "good years", flowering in May 2008.

Last is I. cristata 'Dick Redfield', an unusual form among the many cristata forms available in the US, in that it has 6 falls!  This was found in the Connecticut garden of the late Dick Redfield.  It also has particularly rich coloration and markings, a stunner in the shady garden.  I bought this form from Darrell Probst at Garden Vision Nursery, it is probably available from other nurseries as well.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 04:43:39 AM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: three nice little Iris species (well, maybe four)
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 09:48:51 AM »
Mark they are superb clumps,i can't grow onco and there relatives outside so these do it for me,the I. reichenbachii is just stunning i will have some I. attica seed later on if you would like some.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »
Mark

I have just given my collection of Iris attica and suaveolens away. I have had them for many years and only had an odd flower every few years. I decided even under glass I just did not have the climate for them.Not enough sun and to much humidity. Not worth the space with me.

In the wild although I have seen large clumps of I.attica with numerous fans of leaves the I suaveolens have never been large plants, only a few fans of leaves growing in very similar situations,hot dry south facing slopes.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 06:56:56 PM »
Dear Mark,

superb clumbs !

I have never seen such great clumbs, but in my opinion your shown I. suaveolens are rather I. pumila: The falls of the flowers are too long, and especially the leaves are too tall and erect !

In garden every year I loose some plants of I. suaveolens, because winter and spring are too wet.

The clone of I. reichenbachii is unique !
« Last Edit: January 02, 2010, 08:55:19 PM by Gerhard Raschun »
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 07:25:11 PM »
I don't seem to have a problem with Iris suaveolens grown in a pot outside. It tends to get forgotten about apart from when it is in flower but, this Summer I gave it a present and re-potted into a larger pot with a bit of fresh compost. Here it is seen flowering in April last year.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2010, 07:41:14 PM »
David that is stunning lovely pot full, the problem i have is not with the wet but slugs as soon as my iris throw there spikes up the slugs go on a feeding frenzy.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 08:02:28 PM »
We posted pics of wild Iris reichenbachii taken last March on this thread:

http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3407.0

I know Chris had some pics of I.suaveolens on here somewhere, but can't find them. As I remember some were lovely 'brownish' shades.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 08:09:40 PM »

I know Chris had some pics of I.suaveolens on here somewhere, but can't find them. As I remember some were lovely 'brownish' shades.

Here? http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3578.0
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hristo

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2010, 08:27:18 PM »
Thanks Maggi, also these I.suaveolens from another location
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

angie

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2010, 08:32:11 PM »
David that is some picture and the Iris is amazing 8), wish I could grow a pot of Irises like that.

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2010, 08:48:49 PM »
We also found this Iris in the Central Rodopi- we eventually settled on it being Iris aphylla. Luckily we returned in time to collect seed on our travels to Lilium rhodopaeum paradise.  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2010, 10:58:10 PM »
Mark, David and Chris - thanks for showing these superb clumps and wonderful variations of I.suaveolens!
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2010, 11:16:25 PM »
...also these I.suaveolens from another location

Wow, I didn't know there was so much variation in flower color in these Iris species... I particularly like the last I. suaveolens that has some orange color in it.  I'll have to have take a critical look at my Iris suaveolens and reichenbachii this year, the first Iris was given to me and the second was purchased at Rock Garden Society plant sales.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Hristo

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 05:35:36 AM »
Hi Mark,

There is a surprising degree of variation in wild populations which simply is not represented in cultivation,
like most of us our earliest introduction to suaveolens and reichenbachii were with divisions in the UK, undertstandably this
is the primary tool for bulking up a cultivar, but I guess this means that the same clones become established and perceived
maybe as the 'type' for the species. We have been growing some of these colour variations for a couple of years now and hope to be able to offer a range of colour varients over the coming years as our stock matures.

I was fascinated to see how strongly your clones have clumped in the garden, a super display that I have never seen repeated in the wild where to date I have only seen 3 flowering stems to a well estbalished rhizome 'mat'.
Hristo passed away, after a long illness, on 11th November 2018. His support of SRGC was  much appreciated.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 11:48:11 AM »
Simon,

I just love the big fury white beards on the Iris aphylla.  How tall does that species grow?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal