We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb log 46 Liverworts  (Read 10371 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Bulb log 46 Liverworts
« on: December 07, 2009, 09:52:10 AM »
I hate liverwoth. Unlike other weeds that compete for light, space and nutrition, Liverworths murder by suffocation.  >:(
Also I remove them by mechanical means but I have been told that they cannot stand darkness. That will make sense in a pot sown with say Leucojum since these will not show above ground until next spring. It is not helpful when they try to murder a Saxifraga.

LD Hills (The propagation of Alpines) advocates the use of potassium permanganate. I have never tried since he writes that the solution should be of such a strength that it look slike a x-penny stamp. (I do not remember which stamp).
Hills' advice is usulally very helpful but #A I did not have any British stamps, #B he does not say what thickness of the solution that gives the same colour. Thus I never tried it.
He also states that it forces earthworms in pots to the surface.

Question: has anyone tried this chemical against liverworth (or earth worms) and if so, at what strength.

Göte
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:23:45 AM by Maggi Young »
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Bulb log 46 Liverworts
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »
This is intriguing.... I'm on the trail of the quote, and the stamp!!
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 11:17:42 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 03:16:13 PM »
I just spray the pots with  diluted vinegar and I also wash the greenhouse windows with it, stops them turning green in the winter.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 03:17:16 PM »
Now then...... first point, Ian says he has never succeeded with the potassium permanganate treatemnt... at whatever solution!

Second point, with the help of my dear friend Derek Bacon, who checked Hills' quotation for me .....and reports that Hills wrote it should be pink not purple about the colour of a three penny stamp ((and that was written in 1950)), it should be in every can of water used.

So, went on search for representation of Three penny ( 3d) stamp of the period..... some slight variation...but you get the drift.....

this first set is the nearest colour to the actual standard 3d 1950 version!

This one from 1949

this a little later from 1960

181314-3

this one circa 1950 Guernsey.... whic again is a good match to the first set when seen at same size.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 03:19:16 PM by Maggi Young »

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
Thank you Maggie.
I would now be able to print my own three-penny stamps to compare with solutions of permanganate. (Hopfully without being caught as a counterfeiter  ;Dt)
However, if it does not help for Ian (at whatever the concentration), it will not help for me (even in the same concentration  ;) ) and I do not need to try to figure it out using counterfit postage  :)
Cheers
Göte

PS
I would like to have a patent medicine against it. I once had a full square meter of the stuff in a nursery bed.
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2009, 06:44:09 PM »
We have rather too much of the stuff here.... the liverwort that is.Must try the diluted vinegar though I seem to recall dabbing the cups with vinegar in the past without much effect......but if it works for Michael I'll try again.

I must say, I thought the notion of Forumists printing outmoded stamps to get a colour match with a bucketful of water and potassium permanganate crystals was a most amusing one, with great prospects as a spectator sport  ::) ;D
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 06:45:43 PM by Maggi Young »

derekb

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2009, 06:46:42 PM »
Gote,
       I first got Hills book when I started with the AGS back in the 50s then like all people when you have a new hobby I ended up with hundreds of pots of seed and I started to use it then and found if you use it before the liverwort started to grow it did keep it away but if it was already growing it took a long time.
Hope this helps,
Derek
Sunny Mid Sussex

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »
if you use it before the liverwort started to grow it did keep it away

AHA! There we have it... there's often a clue ,y'know!
 Thanks Derek!

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 06:49:18 PM »
 Does Armillatox not kill liverwort? I used to use it for to control moss and vineweevils.

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »
Maggi,if the liverwort is covering the whole pot I use the vinegar undiluted with a small paintbrush,works a treat,although you still have to pick it off when it is dead.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2009, 08:15:14 PM »
I have used Potassium permanganate (Condy's chrystals) at a deeper colour than the stamps and found it pretty much useless for liverwort but it did bring up the worms - don't know whether every one though - in troughs and pots. I occasionally use vinegar but have found that though it kills the liverwort at 1:1 with water, the leaching also kills everything else, even small dormant bulbs so mostly I don't use it now. I lost whole batches of Trillium rivale which were totally below the surface level of pots but nearby trays of same size plants that were not painted with the vinegar solution came up, through the liverwort. And yes, the dead liverwort still has to be removed and the "roots" (don't know the technical name for the stuff that holds it in place) pull up big blobs of soil or compost with them, a problem if the liverwort is on seed pots so overall, I prefer to deal with live liverwort and now I do this by carefully cutting it off with a scalpel, wielded at a very low angle, almost parallel with the pot surface, slicing until it is through. The rooty stuff stays but after a while dies away.

Roundup on a path always works very well to kill liverwort but after a short while it grows back stronger than ever (likewise, moss). It is definitely preferable with pots, troughs or anywhere reasonably small, to attach the beastly stuff at the very beginning of its appearance rather than let it form big patches.

Having said all that, there are botanists in the world who LOVE liverworts and spend their whole lives studying them. Some might say they are sad people. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Roma

« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2009, 08:26:27 PM »

Having said all that, there are botanists in the world who LOVE liverworts and spend their whole lives studying them. Some might say they are sad people. ???
[/quote]

I have met them, Lesley.  When I worked at the Cruickshank Garden at Aberdeen University we had to leave some liverwort and mosses on pots so they could be used for botany classes.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2009, 08:52:35 PM »
When I was a young teenager (a very long time ago) I was fascinated by liverworts (& mosses); they are indeed fascinating. This fascination - along with others - resulted in my becoming a professional biologist, though not a botanist. "Sad people"?  Why is an interest in liverworts any more sad than having an interest in Crocus, Narcissus, Galanthus etc? I can think of worse things to be interested in.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2009, 09:11:41 PM »
Gerry, perhaps it is the fact of an interest in something which so many of us spend such a lot of time trying to be rid of.... that's certainly sad for the lovers of the liverworts! ::)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2009, 09:14:30 PM »
So sorry Gerry, it was a tongue-in-cheek comment, as many of mine are. Forgive me? Please? :-*
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal