We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Does it work to remove greenhouse glass panes for ventilation?  (Read 9113 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Does it work to remove greenhouse glass panes for ventilation?
« Reply #30 on: December 07, 2009, 07:06:13 PM »
David S, many thanks for that, very useful indeed.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #31 on: December 07, 2009, 08:24:10 PM »
What an intersting topic this is. One day when I buy a glasshouse..... My mesh tunnel has good ventilation but is too dark now with nearby trees keeping the light out.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

newstart

« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2009, 04:56:09 PM »
Thanks everyone! you have all been very helpful. I think I will use the mesh idea with medium sized screws. I'd screwed right in so the heads should hold the mesh to the the aliminium frames. Would this hold okay or should wood be used to hold the mesh as discussed. 
David in Central England. Lots more still to learn!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2009, 05:08:23 PM »
David, we use the same clips to hold the mesh that would be used to holdthe glass into the aluminium frame, no problem with that and allows easy change from mesh to glass when wanted.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

newstart

« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2009, 05:14:07 PM »
I think I have an idea which may suit some. What about if you drill about 8 small holes thread sturdy green thickish garden wire through them and wrap the wire around the mesh also so its held tight to the frame. The wire cannot slip down if done correctly and shading or other materials can then be tied with raffia to the mesh tightly. Does this sound okay?

newstart

« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2009, 05:19:48 PM »
Oh ,okay Maggie does that mean the mesh has to be the same thickness as the glass-are you talking about the spring clips or the other slotted clip. thanks

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2009, 06:31:53 PM »
Well, I suppose the weld mesh we use is around the same gauge as the glass. It is the spring clips... the elongated W shapes, that we use.  
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 02:40:09 PM by Maggi Young »

newstart

« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2009, 11:13:56 AM »
Hi sorry to be a pain but I was wondering what make of mesh as some can be to flimsy from B&Q etc. Or will the spring clip adjust to a thinner kind as long as its rigid and not flimsy. Here's a link to show I am doing some of the work here. This is from b&q- http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=9436441&ecamp=trf-005&CAWELAID=266985194

Just to add ,the link picture above can be zoomed in on up close as it has a zoom tab below the picture.
This is diagonal mesh but may not be suitable as the clips may need to go over the mesh to then hold it from pulling out rather than on top of the mesh to hold it pressed down. If so it would need to be straight squares and 2 cm's like you said before. Is it this stuff-http://www.stainless-uk.co.uk/product.asp?id=7 or the green coating of plastic would probably look better over this steel.

Thinking about it the spring clip would only go through just over an inch gap not a 2cm gap so I think the mesh would be trapped down like the glass. Is it mesh that is not bendable thus sturdy for good frame work if I am right? You said sturdy above which means not bendable I assume.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2009, 12:01:24 PM by newstart »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #38 on: December 10, 2009, 03:41:28 PM »
Yes, the galvanised weldmesh we use is of a similar gauge and construction to the steel type in your second link.

It is not bendy at all, very rigid and the wire clips hold it well in place. I would think that would be the case with  either of the two types you show. The first one from B&Q looks to be more of a sort that might bend a bit, but if it is sold in sheets, which it seems to be, then it may stronger than it looks!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

newstart

« Reply #40 on: December 11, 2009, 06:55:41 PM »
Okay Maggie I shall get the 2cm stuff rather than the 1 inch stuff so the spring clips can go over it and hold it down. At least I know its got to be good stuff. If B&Q do not have it did you get yours in a garden centre. If you bought it online and you can easily remember can you let me know. If anyone else reads this also it may be handy to know. Its not a big problem though as I can sought it myself obviously.

Thanks Dave

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #41 on: December 11, 2009, 07:06:15 PM »
David, ours all recycled material from scrap.  :D Waste not, want not!

iann

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2009, 04:38:38 PM »
I find it hard to imagine you could grow alpines in a glass greenhouse without removing some glass.  My greenhouse is for cacti and it still gets too hot.  It is relatively well supplied with vents compared to some, but even with a fan and the door open I remove a row of panes when it is sunny and warm.  They go back in when it isn't so sunny and certainly for winter.  You might want to consider only removing glass down to a certain height to discourage cats or rats from wandering in.  Keeping birds out is harder, but you can put mesh on openings if necessary.

You might want to examine any potential greenhouse purchase for build quality.  The cheaper ones are pretty flimsy and I wouldn't want to vouch for them in the wind with glass sections missing.  Of course relying on the glass for rigidity is asking for trouble anyway.  A fully closed greenhouse is OK in the wind, but if one panel or vent blows then another one will go almost instantly because the wind gets trapped.  With enough panes missing this might not be a problem.

Toughened glass is nice when its in and properly fastened down, but it tends to come in large heavy sheets and the edges are vulnerable to chipping.  Given the cost that might not be ideal for putting in and out regularly.
near Manchester,  NW England, UK

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2009, 01:33:53 PM »
Ian, our grenhouses are the cheapest possible from B&Q and I remove glass every year. I am not going to comment on any effect in strong winds because that would just be tempting fate! :-X
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal