We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus September - December 2009  (Read 35265 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Narcissus September - December 2009
« Reply #435 on: December 11, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »
Have you had any seed from them, Gerry? I have a few batches of seedlings coming on from 'Treble Chance' and wondered if they will look like the parent.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #436 on: December 11, 2009, 03:00:43 PM »
No Simon. Although I've had these plants  for some time these are the first flowers. Previously they were kept in an open frame & I didn't keep an eye on them so  the flowers were eaten.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #437 on: December 12, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »
My first of the many winterbloomers to come.
Said to be a natural hybrid between N. bulbocodium ssp genuinus and
N. albidus ssp albidus (SF102)
Luc Scheldeman
Torhout, Flanders, Belgium

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #438 on: December 12, 2009, 03:46:32 PM »
Luc, very nice hybrid indeed. Thank you
Dom
do

Pontoux France

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #439 on: December 12, 2009, 04:13:39 PM »
Bravo Mr. S. - a very nice potful !!  ;)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #440 on: December 12, 2009, 05:12:28 PM »
Very nice indeed Luc.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #441 on: December 12, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
A really nice potfull LucS.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #442 on: December 14, 2009, 01:53:22 PM »
Simon
I find that our two Taffeta seem different by the corona, yours more opened and crenalate than mine. Are you ok ? Rafa, Ian or Maggi could perhaps give they idea about them
Dom

Domi, I don't know vey much about Tafetta... all this group of N. catabricus realtives are very difficoult to me....

At least N. cantabricus in Spain contains two species: N cancabricus DC and Narcissus albicans (Howorth) Sprengel.

Many collections labeled as Narcissus cantabricus are in fact N. albicans, and this is why many of yours mentioned that your N. cantabricus is not pure white: this is because you probabily  grow N. albicans.

N. cantabricus is pure white always, and N. albicans is very variable also with pale yellow forms.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #443 on: December 14, 2009, 02:05:20 PM »
Noses of Narcissus 'February Gold' are now showing in my garden.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #444 on: December 14, 2009, 03:43:58 PM »
Rafa, do you mean that N cantabricus opens pure white also -  that is it does not open yellow and turn white?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Rafa

« Reply #445 on: December 14, 2009, 04:22:14 PM »
N. cantabricus, when open is cream-greenish but when is completely open is pure white, with the beggining of perianth tube greenish. But there is also another species, that maintain this cream color until completely open (or not), N. albicans. It is also described as an hybrid between N. cantabricus and N. bulbocodium (N. neocarpetanus var. romanensis) precisely because it could have yellow pale colour that could be similar than this hybrid N. x carpetanus.

The problem is that many collections in Spain were labeled as N. cantabricus because is very similar except this fundamental character in colour rage and also because N. cantabricus bulbs are little and monophyllus comparing N. albicans bigger and polyphyllus. So possibily there are many introductions in gardens of both species with the same name.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 04:26:28 PM by Rafa »

Gerry Webster

« Reply #446 on: December 14, 2009, 09:37:41 PM »
Rafa - the nomenclature of these plants  gets more & more confusing. In his monograph John Blanchard states that N. albicans Sprengel is a synonym of N. cantabricus DC. ssp. monophyllus  (Durieu) Fernandes.  This seems to be the opposite of what you are saying?

Rafa

« Reply #447 on: December 14, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
Yes it is also confusing to me, Narcissus genus is a name dancing since the first descriptions, it is really complex. I haven't Blanchard's monograph but I think Narcissus is in constant taxonomic evolution so maybe many new descriptions or modifications will not in his book.

Other example could be Narcissus serotinus, that contained at least N. serotinus and N. miniatus (or N. deficiens).

This case of N. albicans is the same It has  been described many times with different names. Some authors has considered N. albicans as a species, other authors, considered that it was N. cantabricus var. luteolentus, N.x barrae, N. litigiosus var. granatensis, N. x magni-antonii, N. x neocarpetanus var. romanensis... and a long etc.

Personally  I support N. albicans, and N. cantabricus because explain some incoherence in Iberian populations specially in color, which is the first character that you can see . Now it is important to revised all N. cantabricus locations to know if it is N. albicans or N. cantabricus.

The collection I donated this year, Narcissus cantabricus 09-001, could be N. albicans, because It is not far from type locality of N. neocarpetanus var. romanensis (N. albicans).

« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 11:48:01 PM by Rafa »

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #448 on: December 15, 2009, 04:25:11 PM »
The Kew Checklist has Narcissus albicans as a synonym of N. cantabricus ssp monophyllus.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Kees Jan

• Kees Jan's botanical trips
« Reply #449 on: December 17, 2009, 07:11:49 PM »
Here are a few Narcissus photographed in Morocco in late October early November...

Kees Jan van Zwienen

Alblasserdam, The Netherlands (joint editor of Folium Alpinum, the journal of the Dutch Rock Garden Club "NRV")

photosite: http://keesjan.smugmug.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/KJVZ10
http://www.facebook.com/kees.jan.927

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal