We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus July to September 2009 Mostly S.hemisphere  (Read 19314 times)

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Re: Narcissus July to September 2009 Mostly S.hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 05:59:00 AM »
I agree with gerd, Paul. So what's the history of the american tazettas- are there otherspecies in there? What do they do over winter? I guess you don't have snow there in April.
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 06:02:57 AM »
Just gorgeous, Paul! 
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 06:12:26 AM »
Thanks everyone.  8)

The american tazettas were from a guy who was crossing his earliest multi-flowerers together, but I don't know exactly the species mix or anything like that.  I've had at least 7 or 8 different variants so far, with significant differences in the start of flowering times, height of plants, size of flowers etc.  My favourites so far are the earliest flowering one (because it is so early and it has flowers that open pale lemon and fade to white) and the white with yellow cup which has smaller flowers but they're always nicely arranged and still one of the earliest of them to flower.  I'm hoping one of these days to properly separate them and plant different ones in different places in the garden, so that they can establish unique clumps and splashes of colour here and there through winter.

And no, Simon, we don't have snow in April..... we rarely have snow EVER, and never settles for long (a few hours).  They flower happily throughout winter.  The early one that started in the middle of April still has it's last flowers on it now I think, although they're not for much longer..... just went out and checked and the last flowerhead is on it at the moment.  Not bad as that it more than 3 months of continuous flowers, just from that variety.  When you add together all the different ones i have from the original seed it means I will have flowers until September I would imagine, as some varieties are only just opening for their first flowers for the season.  Great stuff.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 06:52:51 AM »
And a couple more taken in recent days....

Narcissus pachybulbus just starting into flower.

Seedling Narcissus romieuxii from a friend of mine.  Beautiful form and colour to it, and very early for a yellow one (an added bonus).  If you recall the pic I showed a while back of the pot of the 'Fyno' seedlings.... this is what is "supposed" to be in the pot.  There are a number of these in fact now coming into flower in the pot as the 'Fyno' seedlings finish.  I'm going to try to separate them out as they flower, so that they're not all together.  The one in the pic was shifted out last year or the year before into one of my large citrus pots (the citrus pot next to it has some of the 'Fyno' seedlings in it).
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Sinchets

• our Bulgarian connection
  • On the quest for knowledge.
    • Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 08:20:49 AM »
Some more lovely plants, Paul. It is also good to see the fruits of different people's labours in different parts of the world. Prior to being on this forum I had never even thought of Narcissus, or Crocus, in America let alone the Southern Hemisphere. Silly really as conditions there when you think about it are obviously going to be more to their liking than the UK.  ;)
Simon
Balkan Rare Plant Nursery
Stara Planina, Bulgaria. Altitude 482m.
Lowest winter (shade) temp -25C.
Highest summer (shade) temp 35C.

arillady

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 10:42:26 AM »
What beautiful Galanthus Paul and Otto. I see that Otto's camera seems to not do white well either like my little digital - I tried to photograph the Narcissus species whose name I can't remember.
Normal size tazetta but miniature white flowers - I had thought it was pachybolbous but not sure now after reading descriptions.
I have just picked a stem and put it on the scanner to get it right. The stem is even longer than is shown (it hung over the edge of the scanner!!!)
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

vanozzi

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2009, 03:27:18 AM »
G'day--well I'm going to have my first try to include an image with a post.This miniature daf seedling of mine is lobularis x candlepower.Seed sown in 2002, very healthy with 3 blooms this year.
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2009, 03:32:15 AM »
Paul,

Isn't that just a stunner!!  Beautiful.  I love the smaller species and varieties myself, so I adore that one.  8)  Thanks for posting.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

vanozzi

« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2009, 03:41:15 AM »
This is my best  seedling to date.It was awarded Res GRD CH at the Claremont show a few years ago.The breeding is Charity May x Cyclamineus.
Paul R

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 04:01:38 AM »
Paul,

Very nice.  What sort of size is it?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

vanozzi

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2009, 04:16:41 AM »
G'day Paul--the cyclamineus hybrid is too large for a miniature, but still quite small.It hasn't flowered yet, but is above ground, so it survived my relocation back to the mainland.I lost a lot of choice things.
 If you like the miniatures Paul, what do you think of my miniature poet seedling.It's 35mm only.
Regards Paul
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 02:50:35 PM by Maggi Young »
Paul R

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2009, 05:20:39 AM »
Wow.  Is that a pink cup, or a trick of the light?  Lovely, whether tiny or not.  But 35mm sounds gorgeous.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2009, 12:33:12 PM »
It's great to have another Daff fan onboard, Paul R!! Love those little gems!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2009, 10:01:56 PM »
Very nice seedlings, Paul. I like the first especially. Candlepower is a very good parent!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

vanozzi

« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2009, 04:16:50 AM »
Wow.  Is that a pink cup, or a trick of the light?  Lovely, whether tiny or not.  But 35mm sounds gorgeous.
G'day Paul, not so lucky to have bred a pink miniature poet, yet very happy with this little bloke.I just hope it survived last summers 48c heat.Here is a front-on pic taken two years ago on first flowing in Tassie.

Thanks Anne.I used gypsy queen and candlepower quite a bit and now have some nice breeding stock.Also Snipe x L Lass has given me some nice pinkish min cyc that I think may be pollen fertile.Here is candlepower from last year, ---it breeds better offspring than itself.Have you raised anything promising from candlepower Anne?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 08:37:55 AM by vanozzi »
Paul R

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal