We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus July to September 2009 Mostly S.hemisphere  (Read 19321 times)

Kees Green

Narcissus July to September 2009 Mostly S.hemisphere
« on: July 13, 2009, 02:50:45 AM »
I was just wondering if any one has any pics of  true "Dove Wings", my one does not have the bright yellow trumpet. I will try to find my pic and see what you all think it is.
Regards
Kees Green, miniature daffodil and insect enthusiast

League fan in a city crazed by AFL

Kees Green

Re: Narcissus July to September 2009 Mostly S.hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »
Hi Everyone, this is what I purchased as Dove Wings last year, I am not sure that it is now but I still have it as one of my favourites. Any ideas on actual ID?

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009, 01:02:28 PM »
Kees, not sure if you are familiar with the Daff Seek Web Site?

http://daffseek.org/query/query-detail.php?value1=Dove%20Wings&lastpage=1
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Kees Green

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009, 12:13:43 AM »
Thanks David, I was not aware of it . It sure does look like the flower in type but not colouring, I like mine better  :P
I am going to use mine for crossing so good to see if it fertile.
Thanks again.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009, 12:29:54 AM »
Kees,

How fresh are the flowers in your picture?  Are they just opened, or have they been opened for a couple of days?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 03:50:51 AM »
A few pics of current Narcissus at my place....

An original 'Fyno', unlike the seedlings I was showing recently.  At least it was purchased many years ago as this.

A more recent pic of my Narcissus 'Taffeta', showing it pretty much in full flower now.

Narcissus tazetta ssp laticolor (also called the Chinese Sacred Lily, apparently), what I received this as a few years ago, but I can't seem to find any info on that ssp.  I can find ssp orientalis under that common name.  So now I am not entirely sure what exactly the name of mine it.  Anyone able to help clarify?  Thanks.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009, 03:53:44 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009, 06:23:21 AM »
Paul,
You will find Narcissus tazetta ssp. lacticolor forma canaliculatus, there was only a ' c ' missing.
This is a beautiful winterflowering daffodil indeed!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009, 06:48:02 AM »
Gerd,

Thank you, that is why I couldn't find it when I went looking.  Another very long name for a Narcissus.  ;D  I'm familiar with the miniature species Narcissus canaliculatus (which I can't flower for the life of me, and have now given up and mostly got rid of!  ::)) but I am wondering why this would be form canaliculatus, or is that something to do with the colouration, which from memory is similar?

Thanks very much for finally solving that little mystery.  8)  Greatly appreciated.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 06:57:26 AM »
Paul, you are welcome! Concerning N. canaliculatus I made the same experience like you did - no flowers. This was very disappointing because it was about the time when I began to cultivate daffodils.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Kees Green

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:47:37 AM »
Paul, that pic was from last year. Is has done well and looks like it has multiplied to 5 bulbs. I will take pics of it this year and post them. It must have been a good season last year as most of my miniatures have increased from single bulbs to 4-6 now, will be interesting to see how many flowers I will get though.
I have buds on Jet Fire, Tete tete and others I am not sure of. I will post pics to see if any one knows names for them as they flower.
I noticed a pic of UFO earlier in this thread but the web site that I was referred to has a differet one for New Zealand is a Div 2 white/yellow and not a poet-shame I had my hopes up. Will still be a surprise when it flowers though.

Rob Potterton

• humble, down-trodden nurseryman!!
    • Pottertons Nursery
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 10:02:37 AM »
Hello. At the nursery we are offering for the first time a daffodil we have grown for many, many years named Narcissus elegans var intermedius, see image below. This looks like a Tazetta type, is sweetly scented, 25 - 35cm tall and flowers early April under cover in a bulb tunnel. In John Blanchards Narcissus book N. elegans var intermedius it is also listed as N. pallidiflorus var intermedius but no description is written. Can anyone provide a botanical description of elegans var intermedius and does the plant below key into that description?? Thanks Rob
Rob Potterton  Lincolnshire  UK

Potterton's on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pottertons-Nursery/130403187026232

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 10:41:14 AM »
Rob,

Is it an autumn flowering variant?  N. elegans is one of the autumn flowerers isn't it?  It looks like it could be a jonquilla type to me, or more likely an assoanus or cordubensis (or similar) to my inexpert eye (I am never quite sure of the technical differences between these two)? ???
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Rob Potterton

• humble, down-trodden nurseryman!!
    • Pottertons Nursery
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2009, 10:57:42 AM »
Yes Paul, Narcissus elegans is an autumn flowering species, the plant we have labelled N. elegans var intermedius / N. pallidiflorus var intermedius flowers early April - that's mid spring on our side of the equator :-)
Rob Potterton  Lincolnshire  UK

Potterton's on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pottertons-Nursery/130403187026232

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 11:27:40 AM »
Hi Rob
we grow N. x intermedius which is a cross between a jonquill and a tazzetta, but yours doesn't seem to have as much of the tazetta in its appearance.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2009, 12:51:53 PM »
Howdy All,

A couple of pics of one of the Narcissus in flower at the moment.  I have pics of more, but haven't prepared them as yet.  This is Narcissus 'Galligaskins'.

Enjoy.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal