We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Wisley Alpine Log Feedback  (Read 70928 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Wisley Alpine Log Feedback
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2011, 08:11:54 PM »
That excellent photographer, Jon Evans, has been at Wisley and has posted a series of delightful photos from the Alpine House, new crevice gardens and also more exotic species in this topic in the AGS website..... I commend it to you....
http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/discussion/inthegarden//RHS+Wisley+in+February+/480/?page=1
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #76 on: August 12, 2011, 06:40:35 PM »
I really like the 'tower' of sempervivums! The plants look so strong - mine in the garden seem to grow at a snails pace. Presumably feeding is the answer. It is also exciting to see the Castilleja; I must refer back to the article in 'The Plantsman'. The only other plant growing outside that I've seen was in David and Stella Rankin's garden in Edinburgh. I think they have had some success with Pedicularis too (?) - it would be amazing to see these in gardens!!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #77 on: August 12, 2011, 09:23:47 PM »
I think you are correct about the Rankins and the Pedicularis, Tim.
I believe they have had some success with several species, though I cannot say which, or if they are still growing them. I was very envious when I heard because I am very fond of pedicularis; I find them wonderful plants, especially some of the more showy Chinese and Himalayan types.

I covet Castellejas, too!

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #78 on: September 28, 2011, 08:55:24 AM »
Paul - thank you so much for your latest log. There are so many plants there that I don't know or haven't seen before, and the alpine house is extremely exciting. The Sphaeralcea on the sand bed is a definite must - but I shall have to extend my bed significantly after recent purchases! (And after listening to Peter Korn's lecture at Lamberton). An interesting P.S.; we have just had a talk from Marina Christopher on good plants for encouraging insects into the garden. She gardens on quite heavy wet soil and does well with many late perennials, but like most gardeners also wants to grow species less suited to her conditions. As a result she has had 60 tons (!) of chalk dumped in the garden. It will be really interesting to see how plants establish on this. Like sand gardening it shows how the boundaries of gardening can be pushed if your primary interest is widening the range of plants growable in the garden. (Of course she is also a very fine nurserywoman which gives even more incentive to grow good plants to propagate and collect seed from).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #79 on: September 28, 2011, 10:25:13 AM »
Some details.....that might be useful after Tim's last post...
 Marina Christopher, Paice Lane, Medstead, GU34 5PR    : Phoenix Perennial Plants

http://www.franceslincoln.com/en/Contributor/449/Marina_Christopher.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/design/plant_recipes/wildlife_index.shtml

Plant Finder gives a web address but the link doesn't work.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2012, 01:31:15 PM »
For an exciting visit to Wisley to cheer you in early January, see this thread:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=8326.0
     8) 8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal