We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Zdeněk Zvolánek -Edraianthus Session  (Read 30416 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Zdeněk Zvolánek -Edraianthus Session
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2013, 08:39:10 PM »
After my discussion of Edraianthus on the IRG it has been a great education to be referred back to this thread - I have many small plants under many names and will be able to refer back here when they begin to flower. Just from an alpine gardening perspective though these two must be pre-eminent: E. serpyllifolius and E. pumilio. The first two pictures were taken in a polytunnel at Blackthorn Nursery (what an amazing plant!). The second two are of E. pumilio in seed (the seed capsules remind me of tiny bird's nests - sorry to be so unbotanical!), and even more exciting - because it means a plant has taken to your garden - seedlings coming up in the scree. Great plants, but I shall keep my eyes skinned for any seed of Muehlbergella oweriniana!!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #61 on: July 17, 2013, 10:24:50 PM »
Great to see Tim . The genus "Edraianthus" has also my special interest ...They like my tufarocks ... 8)
In june we did see E. horvatii in the wild in Macedonie ... 
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2014, 03:46:06 PM »
I have this edraianthus in my sink but I'm not sure of its identity.  I've read through this thread and also looked elsewhere and the only result has been to eliminate what it's not.  Can anyone enlighten me please?  It's flowering right now and the flower stems are very strong but horizontal in habit.  The smaller leaves behind it in the picture are a dianthus.  The longer leaves belong to this plant
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2014, 03:54:20 PM »
Looks like the delightful E. niveus - see Tim's picture here:
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=9453.msg303551#msg303551

ZZ  wrote about it in the IRG of August 2011 , here:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2011Aug251314305515IRG20August_2011.pdf
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2014, 05:48:10 PM »
Certainly looks like it Maggi.  Wasn't on any of the seed packs I've used, but that's the joy of growing from seed isn't it?
I'll make a note.  This is it's first flowering.  I always like to try to find names of mysteries...  Thanks for your help!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Tristan_He

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2016, 09:10:07 PM »
Whilst Googling and reading more about Edraianthus I came across this paper and thought it might be useful to add a Link to this thread. The paper is far and above my understanding but might be useful to someone.

http://www.utm.utoronto.ca/~w3bio/faculty_and_research/stefanovic_papers/Taxon_2008.pdf

Fascinating and informative thread that I just came across with the search function.

Interesting paper David, your link doesn't seem to work any more but there is another link here:
http://curis.ku.dk/ws/files/9539722/Taxon.2008.pdf

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2016, 02:36:26 PM »
Puits gardening into perspective! Must book one of the authors for a talk ;). This is a wonderful genus, would definitely like to grow more and excite an audience with some maps like these!! Very good in the sand bed, as are campanulas. (And they are delightful in seed, this is E. pumilio...).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal