We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Perlite  (Read 12352 times)

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
Perlite
« on: November 28, 2009, 06:12:41 PM »
My local supplier no longer sells perlite in 100ltr bags and Avoncrop have also gone bust. I have now found somewhere and thought other forum members may also find it useful. Nearly every town seems to have someone selling hydroponics equipment and supplies these days where 100ltr bags can be bought for £14.00. There are some strange characters in the shops and they do look a bit spaced out ;). I was also offered a black bag to put my perlite in but told them I grew orchids not marijuana so did not need to hide it :)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Perlite
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 07:15:56 PM »
 ;D ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Eric Locke

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 07:50:51 PM »

A good source of supply is always the local gardening soc shop ,where good discounts are available. ;)

Eric

Eric Locke

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 07:54:30 PM »

My local supplier no longer sells perlite in 100ltr bags and Avoncrop have also gone bust.

If Avoncrop are no more, who are supplying the Melcourt products ?

Eric

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 08:37:06 PM »
B&Q sells perlite
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Eric Locke

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 09:19:52 PM »
B&Q sells perlite

B&Q only sell Perlite in tiny 10 Ltr bags .
Small bags are available in all garden centres too in tiny bags, but not in bulk.

Eric

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 09:28:50 PM »
I was also offered a black bag to put my perlite in but told them I grew orchids not marijuana so did not need to hide it :)

At the Market yesterday, one of our elderly vendors was asked "where's the grass man?" He was dressed in a tartan skirt - no, not a kilt, a short skirt made of a tartan cloth and gathered round the waist - a leather jacket, a little hat with feathers in it and hiking boots over bright yellow socks. Could have been the BD actually. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Eric Locke

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 09:30:17 PM »
I was also offered a black bag to put my perlite in but told them I grew orchids not marijuana so did not need to hide it :)

At the Market yesterday, one of our elderly vendors was asked "where's the grass man?" He was dressed in a tartan skirt - no, not a kilt, a short skirt made of a tartan cloth and gathered round the waist - a leather jacket, a little hat with feathers in it and hiking boots over bright yellow socks. Could have been the BD actually. ???

;D ;D ;D

Giles

• Prince of Primula
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 09:35:29 PM »
Eric,
I get 100 litre bags of Perlite and Vermiculite from  http://www.gardendirect.co.uk/
They have several different grades.
re. Bark : Melcourt list local suppliers on their website:  http://www.melcourt.co.uk/
Hope this helps,
Giles

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 09:53:43 PM »
The point I was making was its far cheaper from your local hydroponics shop than buying from the likes of B&Q (10ltr £5.00) or gardendirect which is £20.00 plus postage. So if anyone is stuck for a supplier, just search out your nearest hydro store.

I know Ashwwod Nursery does stock some Melcourt products but if you want potting bark you need to ask for the shop manager as its not on show (Tony).

Avoncrop closing is a pain as the other big suppliers for Melcourt Bark are BHGS but they deal in bulk and wanted to charge £40 for delivery of 4 bags of bark. Avoncrop charged £10.

David

Eric Locke

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »
Eric,
I get 100 litre bags of Perlite and Vermiculite from  http://www.gardendirect.co.uk/
They have several different grades.
re. Bark : Melcourt list local suppliers on their website:  http://www.melcourt.co.uk/
Hope this helps,
Giles

Thanks Giles.

I have no problems with Perlite, but have always used Avoncrop for bark products in bulk.

Eric

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2009, 10:11:31 PM »

Well, not if BOTH socks were yellow, Lesley.... BD's socks never match..... ::)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 04:28:30 PM »
LBS polythene sell perlite in 100 ltr bags and will deliver.   Follow link and request a catalogue as most goods not listed on website.  100 lts about £12.
 http://www.lbsbuyersguide.co.uk/polythene-film.html

Mike
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

maggiepie

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 05:47:31 PM »

Oh Lesley, I hope you took a picture, I want to know if the vison in my mind is close to the reality!!
Helen Poirier , Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 08:43:40 PM »
No Maggi, I didn't, sorry, I was busy with something else at the time. I'll keep a lookout though. We do have some weird and possibly wonderful sights there each week.

You're right Maggi, not the BD as both socks WERE yellow and DIRTY which I'm sure you'd never let Ian's be. Likewise his skirt needed ironing. I think he'd slept in it most likely for the previous week so I apologise for thinking Ian might be so unkempt and to you for imagining you'd noyt have done his laundry and ironing carefully. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal