We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: NZ Field Trips November 2006  (Read 9356 times)

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
Re: NZ Field Trips November 2006
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2006, 09:01:01 AM »
I did not know you were a wetaphile Lesley.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2006, 09:49:41 AM »
I love it David - does it set seed  ???  ;D
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2006, 11:18:47 AM »
Oh, my word! I was just trying to take in Lesley's words and adopt a calm, rational attitude to these Wetas when I clicked the page and found this new photo! Good grief, the thing is even worse close up!
Far too like a stick insect which are my pet hate, with praying mantis.  I am quite good with crickets and locusts but I can't abide cockroaches (well, who can?.... Don't answer that, Anthony Darby)I can't cope with these giants... too many legs, antennae, EVERYTHING!!
Much more of thisand I'm going to have to boycott viewing these pages and only read the synopsis emails, where there are no horror pix!! Have pity on me, for goodness sake!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2006, 08:33:27 PM »
Maggi, Its not easy being green.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 08:54:54 PM »
Holy moly, it gets worse... that's it, I'm only reading the text here from now on!! And I have to say, a trip to NZ gets less attractive by the minute : the NZ tourist board should gag you  lot!

I'm thinking, beautiful country, lovely flowers, fabulous friends... and now these things... YUCK!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2006, 02:25:53 AM »
But Maggi, stick insects are lovely. They just sit there and occasionally rock back and forwards a bit. Their feet seem a bit sticky (some sort of gadgets to hang on with I expect) and they're no problem at all, except when a really long one, say 6", starts to step up your arm, under your jersey sleeve. That's a bit ticklish!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

John Forrest

• Blackpool Bird Man
  • Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2006, 10:55:37 AM »
I used to keep stick insects at school and the kids were fascinated with them (perhaps the only thing I did for them). We had a gardener who I think could have been described as 'not a full shilling'. I asked him to look after them over the summer holidays and cut some new twigs for them to feed on. When I came back there were new twigs but no stick insects. When asked where they were he replied " I don't know, I just threw the old twigs away"!!!! ???
Blackpool Lancashire Northwest UK

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2006, 11:20:40 AM »
Maggi,

I feel for you re the insects thingy.  I hate spiders, but I ADORE stick insects (although my favourites are actually leaf insects, to be honest).  Cockroaches my wife hates but I don't mind.  Some of the Australian native ones are actually really pretty, with golden bands around the edges of them and red stripes and the like.  I have a pic of one around the place but I am NOT going to post it here or you'll probably never speak to me again.  Maybe this thread should be renamed "Creepy Crawlies thread.  Be warned!!"?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal