We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Local Group Talks : Recommending good speakers  (Read 13583 times)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
Re: Local Group Talks : Recommending good speakers
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2010, 11:21:40 PM »
Ian does not need any further publicity, but as one who was priveliged to hear Ian speak at 4 southern AGS Groups on Fritillarias and Erythroniums, I must say they were the best talks ever.

Ian is always informative, amusing and the digital presentations are a wonder to behold.  :) :) :)

I am giving my first digital talk next month and will be very happy if it resembles a slide show - no magic dissolves etc.  My fingers are firmly crossed that the projector operates smoothly and the light does not fail.  I am taking a slide presentation as insurance.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2010, 09:32:59 AM »
'Courage, mon Brave!'
Arthur, most digital presentations fail because of a lack of understanding in the person setting up the equipment. The fact that there is this tendency to fret about them is an unneccessary fear if proper attention is paid to the equipment settings.... key stone correction, colour balance and compatability..... after all, how many times have you been at a slide presentation when the slides broke, the lamp gave out, the projector jammed.... plenty, I'll bet, but know there is not the "oh my goodness, will this go well" attitude that seems to exist for digital presentations.

Yes, it is important to understand how the presentation will be routed via laptop or projector and to have the required wires and connectors ....but that's true of any electrical equipment.
Go out there and present, Arthur, seize the moment and sock it to 'em!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2010, 09:23:13 AM »
I know there is a thread for this subject but I can't find it.

Last evening the East Lancs AGS Group had the redoubtable Diane Clement to speak to us on 'A Year in the Life of an Alpine Gardener' she was wonderful, witty, very informative with terrific pictures and ofcourse as one would expect from Diane encyclopaedic knowledge of her plants.  Well recommended by all our members.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2010, 09:47:55 AM »
I found that  topic and merged your post with it, Shelagh.  :D

I rather think that on next Aberdeen RGC Committee meeting will be subject of buying new wheels for Diane's bicycle so we can tempt her up here for a  meeting!  ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 10:37:59 AM »
I gave a talk for the first time this century (Sunday past) on reptile etc. hunting in the tropics to the Forth Valley Herptolology Club. Seemed to go down Okay, but I could have given a little more time for the slides on the autotimer. Good fun though.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #35 on: September 28, 2010, 07:06:26 PM »
My first digital presentation went well and I was given some excellent advice by Graham Nicholls who chaired the AGS Group I visited. 

Sadly my second was a disaster when the laptop refused to talk to the projector - it worked perfectly at home!! .  Fortunately only a small group who clustered round the laptop whilst I gave my talk  ::)

i now know hot to make it all work  :)

Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #36 on: September 28, 2010, 09:36:02 PM »

i now know hot to make it all work  :)

Que? ???

angie

« Reply #37 on: September 28, 2010, 11:43:03 PM »
Our local group had a great time tonight thanks to Ian Christie. Ian showed us how easy  ::)it is to propagate our plants. We all went away with lots of cuttings and seeds, so generous of him.
Hopefully they will grow.
I always look forward to the first meeting and this one we learnt a lot and also it was fun.
Just wanted to say thanks Ian for taking the time and effort its much appreciated by us all.

Angie :)  
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:57:10 AM by Maggi Young »
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2010, 11:44:08 PM »
Can you recommend anyone who talks on orchids?
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2010, 09:07:02 AM »
Peter Corkhill?

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2010, 02:54:15 PM »
Pity you're there and I'm here.... I give several talks on orchids and orchid growing. I'll leave it to others to decide if they're up to snuff, but the comments have always been great.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2010, 03:53:38 PM »
Maybe it's time to consider video streaming all these wonderful talks via the SRGC website, with either free access for members or pay-to-view (by Paypal :P ;)) for everyone ;D ;D ;D
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #42 on: October 03, 2010, 09:07:53 AM »
Peter Corkhill?

Anthony,

that was an inspired suggestion. Paul is such a lovely man. I've been to his place once and was quite overwhelmed by his knowledge and willingness to share it. And I've had some beautiful pleiones off him. I have contacted him and he appears interested. Fingers crossed and many thanks.  :-*

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #43 on: October 03, 2010, 09:40:11 AM »

I am giving my first digital talk next month and will be very happy if it resembles a slide show - no magic dissolves etc.  My fingers are firmly crossed that the projector operates smoothly and the light does not fail.  I am taking a slide presentation as insurance.

Arthur,
I can only support what Maggi is saying. But I think your belts and braces approach is a good idea until you feel comfortable.

I was so scared before my first digital presentation that I made a checklist of:

a) equipment to take (including leads, memory sticks, starting with the extension lead with multiple sockets, one for the laptop and one for the projector etc.)  and

b) how to set it up, step by step.

My list is laminated and sits in the projector case. It makes me feel very secure.

The second thing I do every time I make a new presentation, is try it out at home, projecting against a white wall.

You may be using a zapper, the hand held thingy that makes the pictures go forward or backward and has a red laser to point at details. If your laptop doesn't have enough USB sockets, you'll need a little hub to give you some more to accommodate the USB receiver for this. It will also take the USB receiver for a cordless mouse, I love those, no more wire tangles.

Happy presenting!!! and tell us how it went. :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 10:34:26 AM »
Peter Corkhill?

Anthony,

that was an inspired suggestion. Paul is such a lovely man. I've been to his place once and was quite overwhelmed by his knowledge and willingness to share it. And I've had some beautiful pleiones off him. I have contacted him and he appears interested. Fingers crossed and many thanks.  :-*
You're welcome Maren. I, unfortunately, missed the talk he gave to the late bulb show in Dundee a few years ago.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal