We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: iris iberica ssp elegantissima culture  (Read 7663 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: iris iberica ssp elegantissima culture
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2009, 04:24:29 PM »
Wow!!!  :o
Your both collections look so orderly and marvellous neat!
I think I should weed a bit …  ;)

Thanks for the cultivation information – it is always very interesting how other grower handle this delicate plants.

Here a picture of the bed / rockery (?) where mainly northern distributed Oncos and Junos grow, you can see the earlier mentioned small wall which protects this site to get too much sunshine (suppose Oncos and Cyclamen side by side are not so typical ::)).
As the bed is elevated water can run off easily.
The second pictures shows the soil components I use:
At the foreground on the left side heavy red loam mixed with different grits – on the right burnt clay grit- in the background two different sized lime grits.
This is a mix which works well in open beds here – for pot culture this type of mix is hard to handle and I use a much lighter mix with very good drainage.
Perhaps we should change the name tomato fertilizer in Onco fertilizer…  8) ;D
« Last Edit: November 06, 2009, 04:29:17 PM by Hans A. »
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2009, 06:11:21 PM »
I also grow part of my collection ( for spare plants ) in pot, in a bulb frame without problem ( except I. elegantissima  ??? ), and I also use tomato slow action fertilizer.

Fred, you show an interesting window - is it available commercially in France / which brand is it?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2009, 06:21:26 PM »
I also grow part of my collection ( for spare plants ) in pot, in a bulb frame without problem ( except I. elegantissima  ??? ), and I also use tomato slow action fertilizer.

Fred, you show an interesting window - is it available commercially in France / which brand is it?

Gerd
Oh! well seen, Gerd! I had to  take another look to see what you meant..... I show that part of Fred's very interesting window( frame light) fitment......
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

BULBISSIME

• USDA zone 8
    • My pictures gallery :
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2009, 09:29:49 AM »
Hans, how LUCKY you are to be able to grow this plants outdoor, without protection, in a very nice rockery looking natural !!!!
Looking at your picture, I think I'll add some Cyclament graecum in my onco bed to change foliages...
Gerd and maggy, the frame was design by myself and build by a local metallic carpenter.
BUT, the fitments are not as good as expected and I've to change them with longer parts as I can't move under the window... mistake  ;D
Fred
Vienne, France

( USDA zone 8 )
Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/IrisOncocyclus

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »
Gerd and maggy, the frame was design by myself and build by a local metallic carpenter.
BUT, the fitments are not as good as expected and I've to change them with longer parts as I can't move under the window... mistake  ;D

Thank you Fred - nevertheless an interesing construction!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2009, 03:22:29 PM »
Thanks Fred,
at the beginning I also had my doubts the northern species would like the local  conditions - in their habitat they will have dry and often a snowcover in winter, here it is warm and very rainy - but so far no larger problems. Hope to see pictures from you Onco/Cyclamen combination soon.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal