We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Muscari and Tulipa seedlings perfomance in the tropics  (Read 1289 times)

Bulbophilos

Muscari and Tulipa seedlings perfomance in the tropics
« on: October 23, 2009, 05:38:09 PM »
Last winter I sowed seeds of those three species: Muscari armeniacum, Tulipa sylvestris and Muscari comosum (The picture show them in this order). Now, it is spring here and the bulbs are becoming dormants. I lifted the bulbils that loose their leaves first and here you can see them.

What do you think about their sizes? They reached a reazonable size for thair first growing season?

I had to admit that those seedling did not grow in the best conditions: I did not feed them and, besides, I sowed them very late, in mid winter. So they grew only for a short period. That is because I received the seeds very late. Anyway the biggest bulbs are still in leaf and growing at temperatures that range from 18ºC to 26ºC.
Marcondes de Resende in Minas Gerais, Southeast Brazil
1100m Köppen Cwb

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
Re: Muscari and Tulipa seedlings perfomance in the tropics
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 09:03:25 PM »
Really well done Marcondes, these species germinate in September/October in northen hemisphere with temperatures between 5ºC to 15º. The size is razonable.

I recomend you with Narcissus seeds to put them in the fridge two weeks, they germinate better with cold. The southern species I sent you germinate better with temperatures not higher than 15.

If you think the species you grew usually tolerates more than -15º in the wild, in your weather conditions, you hava had a great success!.

Bulbophilos

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 08:45:01 PM »
Hi Rafa!

Thank you for such a generous support! Except for M. comosum, those species came from cold places. The tulip seeds are from Germany. I guess the southern jewels you sent will grow even better.

Un abrazo grande!
Marcondes de Resende in Minas Gerais, Southeast Brazil
1100m Köppen Cwb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 09:53:18 PM »
I think these have done very well for a single season from seed. I tend to leave bulb seedlings in their seed pot for a second season and then plant them out or repot when they have died down for the second time. The very small seedlings are much more sensitive to unwelcome conditions than more mature bulbs.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »
Hi Marcondes
I my humble opinion, they have a very good size, you weather must have been a great help for them grow so well.
Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal