We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus to identify? Post them here....  (Read 229179 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Crocus to identify? Post them here....
« Reply #840 on: July 06, 2015, 12:07:22 AM »
Could an expert croconut please identify these two for me? Bear in mind that this is the middle of winter here in New Zealand so these are very early spring or genuinely winter flowering.
The white is quite small, well textured so weather-resistant and flowering with the leaves which have been nibbled as it came through. There is slight greyish shading on the backs of the outer petals and a small area at the tips of those petals, of grey and creamy striping.

The yellow is larger and entirely this colour inside and out, no markings. Leaves are just showing.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #841 on: July 06, 2015, 06:11:07 AM »
Hello Lesley, I am only guessing as the style of both species is difficult to make out : The white one may be Cr. candidus and the yellow one C. sieheanus , which in my garden is a rather small flower .I am sure Marcus will correct me , in case you imported these two from him . regards Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #842 on: July 06, 2015, 10:18:04 PM »
Thanks Otto, yes I'm sure you're right about C. candidus. I did bring a couple of pots of it with me and they were always very early - July rather than in spring and I do remember it as having that shading on the back so I think that one's right and I'll label it right away before planting it out later. I've never had C. sieheanus so far as I know, except one from seed a few years back which I lost before it bloomed. So I'll leave the books open on this one. Come in Marcus please. It could have come as something else. There are too many (about 6 fl size corms) to be the original seedling some to light after all. I have a really beautiful biflorus ssp issauricus out at present, also from Marcus, such clear, strong colour it stands out beautifully.

Hope all is well with you?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #843 on: July 14, 2015, 08:17:49 PM »
Bavella isn't strict cultivar. This name is applied for plants collected at Bavella and wild collected stock from Bavella collected there by Jim Archibald has variable stigmas but all have dark flower segments. Of course - most of the stocks from Bavella have white stigmas. Really easiest feature for identification of true C. minimus in garden is very late flowering - here it is the last of all spring blooming crocuses.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #844 on: August 24, 2015, 11:26:36 AM »
Currently first flowering in the garden raised from seed is this little beauty.No label .I'm thinking Crocus biflorus ssp isauricus ?.I'd appreciate confirmation or otherwise thanks Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #845 on: August 24, 2015, 03:45:46 PM »
What a wonderful plant, Dave.
But it will be hard to identify this one - the Turkish 'ex-biflorus' have been devided in so many new species, that I struggle to give an ID...  :-[
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #846 on: August 24, 2015, 09:28:54 PM »
Well if YOU don't know Thomas............? :D

The 'Bavella' thing is interesting to me because I had it a few years ago now from Marcus in Tasmania and while the outer segments are the very dark purple as expected, (one just visible in the upper right section of pic 1 below) the buff edging is much wider than in the original pictures we saw, of this collection. The inner segments are a very different shade - almost magenta - from my commercial form, which is the usual, feathered form, though HEAVILY feathered as pic 2 below shows, with a clear purple inner. However, this form has thrown a few seedlings of a wonderful dark outer form though the inner colour is the same as the parent. These seedlings appeared BEFORE I had Marcus' 'Bavella' so there's no question of them being mixed accidentally. I'm lifting and separating each as it appears, to make a colony.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 09:35:51 PM by Lesley Cox »

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #847 on: August 25, 2015, 01:15:51 AM »
What a wonderful plant, Dave.
But it will be hard to identify this one - the Turkish 'ex-biflorus' have been devided in so many new species, that I struggle to give an ID...  :-[

Thanks Thomas
I'll mark the label as C.biflorus ...........'nice one'  ::)
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #848 on: August 25, 2015, 07:06:47 AM »
Dave  , I grow the same Crocus as you labelled C. biflorus ssp. isauricus  , but I may be wrong and as Hubi says most biflorus subspecies have been renamed as good species .

I loveyour handsome Narcissus with 10 perianth segments , have not seen anything like it here . When are you coming to Melbourne again ?
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #849 on: August 25, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »
Dave  , I grow the same Crocus as you labelled C. biflorus ssp. isauricus  , but I may be wrong and as Hubi says most biflorus subspecies have been renamed as good species .

I loveyour handsome Narcissus with 10 perianth segments , have not seen anything like it here . When are you coming to Melbourne again ?

Thanks Otto
The Narcissus has been registered if anyone wants further info on it .Sorry i don't know how to make the link.
Wife and youngest daughter planning a trip together to Melbourne next March .I'm on standby if a June China botanising trip doesn't work out.......

Cheers. 

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #850 on: August 29, 2015, 05:51:24 AM »
Currently first flowering in the garden raised from seed is this little beauty.No label .I'm thinking Crocus biflorus ssp isauricus ?.I'd appreciate confirmation or otherwise thanks Dave.
Not isauricus, but which one - not easy to tell. I think I published in forum picture of true isauricus this spring.
Janis

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #851 on: August 29, 2015, 02:33:24 PM »
Not isauricus, but which one - not easy to tell. I think I published in forum picture of true isauricus this spring.
Janis
   From  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=12759.msg324930#msg324930

here is Janis' picture

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #852 on: September 01, 2015, 08:46:18 AM »
Janis

Thanks Janis and Maggi
Here's a couple more unknowns ...... :-[

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #853 on: October 30, 2015, 10:35:11 PM »
A member of our Northumberland group has asked me to see if anyone here can help ID this crocus purchased as C. zonatus.  When I checked in the Ruksans tome, it is a synonym for C. kotschyanus ssp kotschyanus.  But is this that bulb please?
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #854 on: October 31, 2015, 05:32:08 AM »
Most likely some of speciosus group, but could be cancellatus, too. Must to see corm.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal