We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2009  (Read 34577 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Erythronium 2009
« Reply #225 on: October 28, 2009, 04:35:41 AM »
Rodger,

Does it seed true?  I'm figuring probably not, but doesn't hurt to ask.  ;)  Despite their rather weedy nature, I rather like the Pinellias.  Not heard of a golden leaf version before.  I love 'Atropurpurea' (has purple in the flower..... I phtoographed it today as it happens, as the first flowers are opening here), and it seeds apparently about 80% true.  Superior form to the normal species I feel, both in the fact the flower is purple, and that the flowers sit above, not below the foliage.  Is the flower on your golden leaf version sit above and below, and I'm assuming they are all green?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #226 on: October 28, 2009, 08:46:45 AM »
Guff, Unfortunately I don't export to the USA. Phyto certificates entail 1 or 2 trips to the field each year for soil tests £100-200, and then each bulb has to be washed and checked by the Agri guys. £20 each consignment. Then there are customs  :( and checks at your end.
Most bulb companies that export to the USA have an agent there to deal with the orders and they just send one bulk consignment.
Sorry
Susan
« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 03:15:55 PM by Maggi Young »
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #227 on: October 28, 2009, 04:42:18 PM »
Does it seed true?  ...  Not heard of a golden leaf version before [of Pinellia tripartita].  ...  Is the flower on your golden leaf version sit above and below, and I'm assuming they are all green?

Our climate here seems to be too cool for pinellias to ripen seed. There were some indications of seed forming, but it came to nothing as far as I could see. The flowers are in amongst the leaves and can be seen without snuffling through the foliage. The flowers are just as yellow as the leaves.

I treat it as one of those eastern Asiatic plants that are hardy, but which cannot handle my soaking wet winter garden. It's in a big pot, and goes under cover during the winter to keep the rain off. So far, so good.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #228 on: October 28, 2009, 07:38:01 PM »
Diane,

If only we had those sorts of nurseries around here!  :o  It would be a very expensive place for me to visit!!!  ;D

We do have little places like that - just a very few left though - and one picks up nice things occasionally. A lot of dairies or bread shops have a couple of trays outside the door, supplied and replenished weekly by a nearby gardener.

As to choosing from the bulb bins, I always seem to manage to get the very last dregs, everyone else having picked them over first. But back in April I bought the last 10 bulbs of Tulipa 'Queen of the Night' from a garden centre bin, and though they were small and a bit shrivelled, and yes Diane, had a little mould on them, they have grown well and are in bloom now. I didn't expect to get any flowers at all. Might do a pic when the rain stops. The forecast is saying snow to 300 metres in Otago. That includes me. :o
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #229 on: October 29, 2009, 01:31:11 AM »
Our climate here seems to be too cool for pinellias to ripen seed. There were some indications of seed forming, but it came to nothing as far as I could see. The flowers are in amongst the leaves and can be seen without snuffling through the foliage. The flowers are just as yellow as the leaves.

I treat it as one of those eastern Asiatic plants that are hardy, but which cannot handle my soaking wet winter garden. It's in a big pot, and goes under cover during the winter to keep the rain off. So far, so good.

Rodger,

I'm surprised that anything stops them producing seed.  ;D  If you don't have the 'Atropurpurea' let me know and I'll let some seed set on mine for you. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal