We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: FANTASTIC AFRICAN BULB SEED LIST  (Read 7672 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Re: FANTASTIC AFRICAN BULB SEED LIST
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2009, 05:22:04 PM »
Some of the current prices on the auction seeds are cheap, but many
of the Buy Now seeds have prices that are double what Silverhill charges.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2009, 06:38:43 PM »
i found this on an african ebay equivalent,they do international shipping as well, http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/tradesearch/TradeSearchLinkResultsPage.jsp?PageTitle=Bulb%20Seeds&IncludedKeywords=bulbs&SellerId=390651&tradeListDisplayMode=picture&pageNo=1

i havent ordered from them, but had some acquaintance with the operator on cactus and succulent forums; i got the impression they'd give very good service, but as i said, havent ordered anything..

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2009, 07:22:29 PM »

And some of the prices are for only THREE seeds or even ONE seed.  Read the small print ...
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2009, 07:42:37 PM »

And some of the prices are for only THREE seeds or even ONE seed.  Read the small print ...

although with the rand conversion, thats still not expensive compared to some sources-- at SAR 1.95 , 10 seeds would be 19.50-- only 2.88 canadian; penroc, for example, is USD5.00 per packet, often only 5 seeds or so..

daveyp1970

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 07:56:36 PM »
cohan i agree with rand convertion i dont believe they are expensive.
Diane i did read the small print(which isnt in small print but large print)i didn't post this thread for an argument about how pricey things are i just stated its a cracking bulb list,im not comparing it to silverhills or any other nursery can't a person just be impressed with the list.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 10:54:51 PM »
Davey,

I don't think that pointing out comparative prices is a bad thing in this case, particularly when you have "fixed" priced catalogues from places like Silverhill.  That is the problem unfortunately with ebay.... unless you're used to it and compare you can really get stung for something.

I personally think that this sort of discussion is useful both from the point of view of pointing out new seed sources (as you've done) and from discussing comparative merits of those sources and prices.  It gives more information to use to work out whether you want to invest your hard earned cash.  ;D ;D  As so many of us do far more than we probably should.  ::)

Thanks for the link.  I haven't investigated ebay much at all I must admit, but really should do so. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 11:51:46 PM »
You're right Davey, a fantastic list all right. I've only looked to page 3 so far but am enthralled by the Gladiolus species as well as many others. I would love to take a gamble here but I suspect that the bureaucracy involved in importing from this source to NZ would put a dampener on it. I have to dream though.
While l.50 or 1.95R is very little, some are at 36 or 50R. That's a bit hard to swallow. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:20:39 AM »
oh to have money ....
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 12:47:55 AM »
Yes Mark How silly to think money can't buy happiness. Of course it can. Money can buy bulbs/seeds/plants and those make me happy. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009, 01:24:51 AM »
Lesley,

Is it more difficult to bring in seed from South Africa, or are you meaning that the varieties are not on the allowed list?  If it is just coming from South Africa that is a problem, then why not get them sent to Australia first so that they can make sure that the even more precise labelling etc required for NZ is in place?  I think I'm right in thinking that you guys need to have more information available on seed that comes in aren't you?  I'm happy to help out if I can.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

daveyp1970

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009, 10:55:10 AM »
Lesley thats the reason why i posted this thread i grow mainly gladiolus with a few albuca,moraea,and a few others and only been doing this for the past three years after giving up paphiopedilums(for the last twenty years)so when i saw this list i was in heaven! there are glads there that i haven't even seen in photo's.And as far as price is concerned i really dont think 40 or 50 rand after conversion 4 or 5 pounds sterling for the prospect of maybe 20 glads i don't have is ok,like i said before i grew paphs for twenty years and also grew cypripediums and for what i payed for one flowering size plant i could and have started my african bulb collection.(by the way im not knocking people who grow cyps before i start another argument)(and also i am not rich in any way i do not like throwing money away but i have caught africanbulbitis and if anybody would like to send me a dose of moraea or gladiolus to soften the symptoms you would giving to worthy cause ) ;D ;D ;D ;D
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

angie

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2009, 12:39:21 PM »
Loved your reply Lesley  8)

8)Yes Mark How silly to think money can't buy happiness. Of course it can. Money can buy bulbs/seeds/plants and those make me happy. 8)
It certainly makes me happy when I can purchase plants, just wish those African bulbs were easier to get.

Loved the link but no use to me I am hopeless with seeds but after looking through all those lovely pictures I must learn more
The only plants I seem to manage from seed is Meconopsis I have hundreds of plants.
But thanks for the link

Angie :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 02:23:19 AM »
The only plants I seem to manage from seed is Meconopsis I have hundreds of plants.
But thanks for the link

Angie,

I think I'm going to have to kill you now.  ::)  Hundreds of Meconopsis...  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 08:51:16 AM »
Loved your reply Lesley  8)

8)Yes Mark How silly to think money can't buy happiness. Of course it can. Money can buy bulbs/seeds/plants and those make me happy. 8)
It certainly makes me happy when I can purchase plants, just wish those African bulbs were easier to get.

Loved the link but no use to me I am hopeless with seeds but after looking through all those lovely pictures I must learn more
But thanks for the link

Angie :)

i'm relatively new with seeds myself, angie, and i expect some (more) fiascos ;) but there is a lot of info available on rearing many species--and many skilled seed raisers on this forum--so no reason not to try :)

many of the SA dealers do sell bulbs as well, so if you can manage shipping and paperwork costs, that's another route...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal