We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Angelica ursinum  (Read 1171 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Angelica ursinum
« on: October 11, 2009, 08:18:50 PM »
I just received seed from Hokkaido of Angelica ursinum. I wonder if it should be singly sown in pots, I seem to recall A. gigas is difficult to transplant but perhaps that is later in life.

I found this shot of the big brute while goggling.

http://www.plant-world-seeds.com/images/seed_images/ANGELICA_URSINA/size2_200x200/ANGELICA%20URSINA.jpg

johnw

edit by maggi: I've changed  it to a shorter link, john!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:21:11 PM by Maggi Young »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Angelica ursinum
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 10:32:07 PM »
Wonderful shot John!  I have had no trouble with transplanting young seedlings of A. Gigas, and trust that A.ursinum will transfer to single pots/ the ground with no trouble....as long as you don't forget!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 11:05:55 PM »
Wonderful shot John!  I have had no trouble with transplanting young seedlings of A. Gigas, and trust that A.ursinum will transfer to single pots/ the ground with no trouble....as long as you don't forget!

Brian  - So you suggest we transplant early.  I think we will sow now and give them a good long cold winter.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 01:55:01 AM »
It looks very exciting John. Good luck with it. I was pleased to find out more from the link about A. taiwaniana (which I have as taiwanensis but I guess it's the same thing). Another very dark stemmed and leaved plant. Not flowered yet and I'd better get them planted out very soon.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 09:51:49 AM »
Well I have sown them now and will transplant when they have just a couple of pairs of proper leaves.  It's worked well for Angelica gigas in the past.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal