We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Primula marginata Lemon Sorbet  (Read 2768 times)

SueG

Primula marginata Lemon Sorbet
« on: October 11, 2009, 10:34:24 AM »
I bought a small plant of this at Ponteland show yesterday but can find nothing out about it. I've tried searching the forum but again nothing. Does anyone have any more info about this plant, I believe it's not particularly common but don't know why. The plant I got seems a really healthy potful so lack of vigour seems unlikely, maybe it just doesn't flower well.
Thanks
Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Primula marginata Lemon Sorbet
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 05:31:37 PM »
Sue, never heard of it before. I hesitate to say (particularly to someone with your experience) but are you sure it's a marginata and not a pubescens or an Auricula ???
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 06:59:21 PM »
Sue, try googling it. There are a number of link suggesting it's P. auricula rather than marginata and a link to a photograph on the AGS site forum taken at Harrogate in 2008

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 07:46:25 PM »
I was just about to post that link myself! Seeing the photo there you can see the super toothed margins to the leaves which certainly look as though marginata might be involved..... with auricula for the colour??????
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2009, 01:43:02 AM »
Was just about to make the same remark Maggi. Auricula flower over marginata foliage. If one thinks of it as a yellow marginata form, it would have to be quite special. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 01:50:13 AM »
I hazard the guess that it's of American origin. One of the oddities of the horticultural world is that American cultivar names are often related to food: Kniphofia 'Vanilla', Echinacea 'Macaroni and Cheese', E. 'Tomato Soup', etc.

[If someone points out that these examples did not originate in the US, my theory is toast.]

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 03:47:52 AM »
Rodger,

Well at least if your theory is toast it will go well with the Tomato Soup and the Macaronia and Cheese.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal