We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Logan gardens  (Read 8943 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Logan gardens
« on: April 16, 2007, 10:13:36 PM »
After leaving Glenwhan, we went to Logan gardens.  Although primarily noted for its Southern Hemisphere semi tender plants, they do have a good selection of Rhododendrons and some magnificent Magnolias.
The choice selection of Rhoddies include hybrids Harry Tag and The Duchess of Sutherland, with the species represented by edgeworthii, lindleyi and madennii.  It will be a couple of weeks before they are in flower.  The pictures attached give an idea of what it was like on Sunday.  Again, not all the plants were labelled

Walled garden copy.jpg
 General view 2.jpg
 Magnolia sprengeri.jpg
 Magnolia sprengeri flower.jpg
 Magnolia Iolanthe.jpg
 Magnolia salicifolia Wada's Memory.jpg

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:38:19 PM by Maggi Young »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Logan gardens
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2007, 10:28:56 PM »
More pictures.  A group of vintage cars turned up as we were leaving.  I couldn't resist this old Bugatti.

Rh. Snow Lady and Trillium Grandiflora.jpg
 Correa mannii copy.jpg
 _DSC0058 copy.jpg
 Blue Bugatti.jpg

« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 02:38:41 PM by Maggi Young »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 11:08:11 AM »
We took a chance on the weather yesterday and happily, the sun came out for the duration of our stay.
The Rhododendrons were at their peak with only a few varieties still to break bud.  The Maddenii 's are probably a week or two from flowering.  However it was still a wonderful display.  What the pictures cannot show is the fantastic scent from these flowers.
My favourite Rh. was Roylmadd.  Combining a cinnabarinum with a glorious scent is, for me, the ultimate Rhoddy.  Surprisingly, there were no mecanopsis in flower. The beds had been replanted so I presume that it will take some time for them to settle in.
I have now hopefully sorted out my photoshop problem.  It appears that photoshop does not like a picture to be renamed before duplicating and resizing.  I had the same problem with the current lot of pictures until I returned them to their original numbers, duplicated and downsized them to find that this worked.  The next job is to go back to my pictures I took on our Argyll Rhoddy garden trip and to sort them out for posting.  This is a 4/5 hour job !!!!!

Rh. Harry Tag
 Podophyllum hexandrum
 Primula florindae
 Rh. formosum var.formosum
 Rh.ciliatum
  Lady Alice Fitzwilliam truss
 aff. Rh.dendricola 599732
 Michelia yunnanensis
 Paeonia suffruticosa ssp rockiii
 Rh ROYLMADD (Rh. maddenii x cinnabarinum var.roylei Magnificum )

« Last Edit: May 12, 2007, 11:23:40 AM by Maggi Young »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 12:54:26 PM »
Some more
Rh. dendricola
Rh. dendricola truss
Rh. Fireball
Rh. fragrantissimum
Rh. Laerdal
Rh. Princess Alice
Rh. Roylmadd flowers
Rh. sesterianum
Rh.ciliicalyx
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 12:59:23 PM »
Final posting.  This contains a picture of the Wollemi Pine - one of a few released to Botanic Gardens worldwide.  It is nestling in the shelter of large trees and it should feel at home in a garden dedicated mainly to Southern Hemisphere plants.
Wollemi Nobilis 
Rh. johnstoneanum
Rh. edgeworthii  flower   
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 01:33:23 PM »
Actually, the Wollemi is in wide release and available now to anyone with a checkbook. I recently saw one in a private garden in Portugal.
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 04:50:38 PM »

Carlo
It shows what you can get for big bucks !
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2007, 06:06:28 PM »
Hi Tom,
thanks for showing the pic of the Wollemi Pine; it makes me feel less homesick!
And, yes, it is in wide distribution in Australia now but was initially only released to Botanic Gardens or by auction where it raised thousands of dollars.
You can now buy a small one for around fifty Aussie dollars (approx. ten Cowrie shells) at most large nurseries. Large ones cost a lot more. It's a good example of clever conservation as no one should have to try to collect one from the wild since they are widely available though the retail trade.
cheers
fermi (still in Stockholm but heading for Gothenberg tomorrow)
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2007, 08:12:44 PM »
Have a wonderful time in Gothenburg, Fermi, it's a super Bot Garden and the people are some of the nicest you'll meet anywhere.... tho' of course, you have already met some at Prague, so you know what I mean... tell 'em all Ian and I were asking for them!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2007, 08:03:04 PM »
We had a visit to Logan today for the sake of getting some sunshine  - and we did.  To my surprise there was still one Rhododendron in flower and this was a new one to me. It was obviously a tender variety flowering so late.  Virtually nothing in the way of rock garden plants but colourful none the less.
Rh. kyawii truss
 Rh. kyawii new growth
 Dahlia bed.
 CRINUM X POWELLII ( bulbispernum x moorrei )
 Agapanthus flower head
 Agapanthus bed
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 11:47:09 AM by Maggi Young »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:10:12 PM »
Some pictures taken yesterday and within the last month.  I was happy to see, that at Logan, they have cleared a large area of non-descript shrubs and trees to prepare for a massed planting of maddeni rhododendrons

2008 03 19 Rh.hongkongense
 2008 03 19 Rh. chrysodoron

2008 03 19 Logan gardens Mag. campbelli mollicomata Lanarth
 Narc. cyclamineous
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 05:08:36 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 02:29:06 PM »
Tom - Marvellous pictures and what a climate.

I think there are a few wrong labels there. The Magnolia sprengeri looks like M. x soulangeana.  Klondyke and Frangrantissimum are  wrong as well.

What an incredible R. edgeworthii!

thanks

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 05:05:26 PM »
I am really getting careless in my old age !  In the most recent pictures posted, the campbellii tree is actually sprengeri, I will try to change it after this.  I presume that you have just come into this thread as most of it was posted last year and these rhody's will not be in flower until April/May.  As to the names, I have taken them off the labels on the plants.  These are all produced by the staff of the Royal Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh and in nearly all cases, the plants were grown from collected seed or layered plants in their collection.
Unless it is my mistake in posting the wrong name, I am not about to argue with these people !  I also take a picture of the plant label when I take a picture of the plant.  An example of the label is attached
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 05:08:44 PM »
Tom, I was lusting after that stately magnolia.... then I spotted the little red tractor! OOH, Want one!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 05:15:49 PM »
Maggi, If you asked the man nicely,I am sure he would give you a hurl.  The sprengeri is a stunner.  Unlike most of the mature Magnolias, it flowers profusely on the lower branches which Cindy can reach without a problem.  This is always the first Magnolia of the year for us and flowers for about 4/5 weeks barring gales and frosts.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal