We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Fungi in Bulgaria....Гъбите от Гората - Лоша или Добра  (Read 12851 times)

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Hi Gote,

You are right of course in your comments: if one is knowledgable about mushrooms and recognize the edible ones there is very little danger. I get the impression that people gather a few favoured species and leave the rest alone. I find it remarkable from my viewpoint the popularity and availability of wild mushrooms in Europe. You do not see wild collected mushrooms for sale in the markets in this country though some like Boletus = Suillus granulatus are very common and could be gathered in large quantities, I would be interested to hear your comments on the culinary merits of this particular mushroom.

Well, I have very little experience of it. Iin my place it is the similar 'Lärksopp' (Suillus grevillei) that will occur in proximity of Larix trees. I rarely pick that one because it is not very abundant and often full of larvae. This differs from an agaricus/psalliota. I would always try to rescue one of these because they are very tasty. The cultivated ones are but a faint echo of the real thing.
The bolets I usually pick are Boletus edulis and its closest relatives. They are very abundant in good years like 2006 and 2008 and biggish. The taste is fine but not strong. It is easy to overwhelm it so they are best used in recipes where they are more or less on their own. Fortunately this is easy because of the good yield.
What I normally do is that I cut them into 2cm cubes and fry with a little butter until the excess water is gone. Then I use them in sauce or soup or as wedgetable. Seasoned but sparingly so. the rest goes into the freezer in lots suitable for a meal.
Of course I also pick chanterelles and others but your question was Suillus.
I treat all fungi that way with allowance for the differences in taste.
If I find any Gyromitra esculenta I would treat them differently since they contain a toxin that must be extracted but this is rather theoretical since I practically never find any.
In my ecological situation it is not possible to just dry fungi in order to preserve them. There are always eggs and some larvae belonging to Sciaridae or Mycetophilidae along and they would take over otherwise good loking specimen unless killed one way or the other.
Cheers
Göte

Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

Stephenb

• 20,000+ day old man
Re. Suillus granulatus (Ringløs smørsopp here) is here in Norway a calcicole growing with Pinus norvegica and hence has a local distribution, but is reckoned to be a good edible mushroom. I've never found it.
Stephen
Malvik, Norway
Eating my way through the world's 15,000+ edible species

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re. Suillus granulatus (Ringløs smørsopp here) is here in Norway a calcicole growing with Pinus norvegica and hence has a local distribution, but is reckoned to be a good edible mushroom. I've never found it.
So that is why I do not find it. I have low pH all over the place.
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Blimey Stephen - I have just stumbled across this thread as someone was reading it in 'who is on-line'.

Those market photographs of trays full of mushrooms are amazing.   :o  My favourite mushrooms are Chanterelle's, Boletus edulis and Morelles.

Looking at your pics make me want to cook a mushroom risotto for dinner tonight!   :P
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal