We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Branklyn Gardens, Perth  (Read 4187 times)

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Branklyn Gardens, Perth
« on: September 28, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »
I had hoped that would have been a string onto which I could have placed these photographs, however, searching the Forum has only shown Branklyn 2008. I've therefore not attached a year reference so that additions can be made over time and the need to create new strings will evaporate.

Just a few shots from 26 Sept 2009 - mainly of the screebeds. I really like this garden but feel that it is becoming how should we say, perhaps a little too plump and that some plants and areas could do with thinning out. It's only a snall criticism of an otherwise great garden - and it was good to see it being enjoyed by folk on a bright sharp September morn.
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

Re: Branklyn Gardens, Perth
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 05:56:00 PM »
..and more scree..
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

FrazerHenderson

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 05:57:26 PM »
..and that's it.

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 02:28:51 AM »
nice garden indeed! looks like you could spend some hours there discovering the individual plants...

whats the general approach for scree--are plants expected to reach soil several inches below the gravel? is it a clean gravel or would you use the kind of 'road gravel' that has some clay in it? or....

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 09:32:23 AM »
A lovely atmos in this garden, Frazer, which you portray in your photos with soft light - the scree bed is magic and I particularly like pic 4522 - can you tell me what the plant is?  The old stone troughs are very attractive and add to the scene - am trying to think where it is in Perth...is it near the river Tay?  When I next go to Scotland I will make a point of going, and to St.Andrews Botanical Garden, encouraged by you  :D
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 07:12:46 PM »
A very interesting garden, Frazer. Great set of shots to give us an impression of the gardens.

Robin, not sure that all the troughs are stone; 4517 looks like one of the Aberdeen kind. You should have access to some lovely wooden troughs in Switzerland, carved from tree trunks.

Paddy
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 07:52:16 PM by Maggi Young »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 07:55:01 PM »
I think the trough in pic 4517 is an old limestone trough.... though goodness knows, the Aberdeen variety are literally all around the world now, so who knows!??  No 4517 is a good copy of an Aberdeen trough  8) ;D
« Last Edit: October 01, 2009, 08:04:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 08:24:56 PM »
It's very thin walled to be a limestone trough - it would be a very brave or very skilled stonemason who would cut it that thinly.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 10:20:02 PM »
Well now I know ......the Aberdeen trough has gone global  ;D

Plenty of wooden troughs here, Paddy, but they cost and arm and a leg  :o

ArneM

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 03:50:52 PM »
Banklyn Gardens are so beautifully landscaped, quite a stunning composition of plants and therefore definitely worthwhile visiting. I've been there during my time in Scotland and was impressed although there weren't many plants in bloom left due to my late summer visit. Anyhow I think you can always go there, doesn't matter which time of the year it is, it's just impressive.
Does anybody remember the comment on Branklyn Gardens in the Perthshire Garden Scheme flyer? It was something like 'the finest 2 ha of...'

Robin, the River Tay is right beside Branklyn Gardens, it's a 5 minutes walk but you can see entire Perth and the river when you're at the top of Branklyn Gardens.

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 05:53:18 PM »
Thanks Arne, glad you have visited and enjoyed the garden too.  Hope all is going well for you in Scotland  :)

ArneM

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 07:08:15 PM »
Well, I'm already back since August... ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 07:47:01 PM »
Tell us all about it Arne ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2009, 02:00:10 PM »
Does anybody remember the comment on Branklyn Gardens in the Perthshire Garden Scheme flyer? It was something like 'the finest 2 ha of...'

Arne

The actual quote is that "Branklyn is the finest 2 acres of private garden in the country"

I have made several postings of pictures of the gardens.  The most recent in April 2009 and can be found under the main subject heading of Rhododendrons.
I have also posted pictures from Branklyn under Meconopsis.

Probably the best times to visit are between March/May and again in September/October for Autumn colour
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2022, 05:49:09 PM »
A reminder of this lovely place to visit- and with super teas and cakes to enjoy as well!!

From Jim Jermyn of Branklyn Garden, Perth -   
"Made a good start with our new Centenary Crevice Garden with our new team member Petra and the great rock gardener, Ian Christie. A modest area of operation and a project to celebrate Dorothy Renton’s love of alpine plants." 

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal