We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Utrecht Botanic Gardens  (Read 621 times)

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
Utrecht Botanic Gardens
« on: April 20, 2023, 08:47:40 PM »
I went to Amsterdam to visit my son at the weekend and we took a trip to Utrecht to see the botanic garden there. I was very impressed - very imaginative and interesting use of materials. We loved the globes made of paving stones, extensive rock garden, bamboo walk, butterfly house, bug hotel etc. Lots of species peonies but sadly needed another week of sunshine to bring them out. The new Evolution garden due to open next year should be fascinating.

Daphne x susannae 'Anton Fahndrich'

Pulsatilla montana

Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

MarcR

Re: Utrecht Botanic Gardens
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2023, 02:43:32 AM »
......I was very impressed - very imaginative and interesting use of materials. ......
(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Daphne x susannae 'Anton Fahndrich'

(Attachment Link)
Pulsatilla montana

(Attachment Link)

I agree it is indeed very interesting and imaginative use of materials. One can see the prospect of great beauty when it reaches maturity.  Thank you for sharing.
Marc Rosenblum

Falls City, OR USA

I am in USDA zone 8b where temperatures almost never fall below 15F -9.4C.  Rainfall 50" 110 cm + but none  June-September.  We seldom get snow; but when it comes we get 30" overnight. Soil is sandy loam with a lot of humus. 
Oregon- where Dallas is NNW of Phoenix

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
Re: Utrecht Botanic Gardens
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2023, 11:14:00 AM »
For those interested in Utrecht Gardens then note the following talk on 18 November by Connor Smith

On Saturday 18th November at The Conference Room at RBGE there will be a series of talks organised by the Edinburgh and Lothian SRGC Group.

Three 40 minute talks will be held the first starting just after 1000hrs.

W e will have the very great pleasure of welcoming three superb speakers:

Dave Trudgill on the development of his impressive Orchid meadow in Perthshire where he now has 18 native orchid species. Dave is one of the foremost authorities on British orchids and this talk will be of considerable interest to anyone that enjoys viewing or growing our native species.

Connor Smith on his work at, and the history of, Utrecht Botanic Gardens. Connor previously trained/worked at the RBGE and now leads activity at this world-famous, exciting Dutch garden. We will gain a marvelous insight into the plants and workings of this wonderful garden

Alan Oatway will finish our three talks with a review of his journeys amongst the spectacular flora of Washington State, USA. Alan, who is from the Lake District, is a noted expert on alpine plants and a leading light in many alpine plant societies. The scenery and plants will doubtless inspire us in our own gardens.

You are welcome to stay for all three talks or to pop in for just one or two, if you prefer.

Tea and coffee will be freely available on tap and you are welcome to have lunch in any of the gardens facilities or bring your own packed lunch. We hope to give a glimpse behind the scenes of the RBGE for those who'd like to during the lunch period.

Attendance is free and open to all, though any small donations will be gratefully received.

For those who have not attended a lecture at RBGE before, entry is via the main reception: 20a Inverleith Row, Edinburgh, EH3 5LR (not far from the East Gate). There is good bus access, Lothian Bus Routes  8, 9, 23, 27, and note that car parking around the garden is free at weekends too.

So don't miss out on these three rarely seen speakers or the chance to see behind the scenes or the opportunity to talk with like-minded gardening friends, old and new, about the plants we love.

If you can, be there, if you can't tell a friend to come instead!
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal