We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Zur computor ma bob  (Read 1550 times)

melbee

Zur computor ma bob
« on: September 19, 2009, 07:42:26 PM »
Hi
the computor ma bob has me on the ropes .I am trying to upload a picture. The site is telling me the file is too big .But the picture is only 2.35 MB .I have tried forcing a screwdriver into the mainframe and wriggling it about ,it has helped very little  ;D .Any ideas anyone
Mel

Martinr

Re: Zur computor ma bob
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2009, 08:05:16 PM »
Yep, the file is too big!

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2009, 08:24:25 PM »
Hi Mel,
350kb maximum and all will be fine ... we look forward to seeing your images.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2009, 08:32:46 PM »
Mel,
freeware IrfanView can simply change your picture to lower resolution (i.e. 640x480 or 800x600 dots)
Best wishes
Armin

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2009, 09:01:34 PM »
Jings crivens and help ma bob! My screen would burst if a file that size opened on the Forum! :o
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

melbee

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 09:21:22 PM »
Got my kilo bites mixed up with the mega watts .I have compressed the picture into a small jam jar and it is now small enough to upload .Fingers crossed  ;)

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 10:28:05 PM »
Hi
the computor ma bob has me on the ropes .I am trying to upload a picture. The site is telling me the file is too big .But the picture is only 2.35 MB .I have tried forcing a screwdriver into the mainframe and wriggling it about ,it has helped very little  ;D .Any ideas anyone

Here's an idea: be kind to your fellow man, and use nearly any image editing program to resize your photos, thereby making them less .... ahhhh... voluminous. Yes, voluminous, that's the word.

I use Gimp these days, but still have a fondness for the very old PaintShopPro v. 3 (1995), which had the great virtue of simplicity. I still have that ancient program running on a Win98 box but I'm too lazy to go downstairs where I keep the old machines.

What I do:
  • first, crop the image to get rid of irrelevant "stuff" around the margins.
  • second, resize the image so it will fit in a rectangle 640 pixels wide by 480 pixels high. Different programs use different words for this process, such as Gimp's "scale". You must make sure you don't use something that will force the cropped area to fill up a 640×480 area and thereby stretch it along one or the other axis.
  • Finally, I save it as a jpeg with fairly high compression. Doing this lessens the quality, but also great reduces the actual size of the image files. They end up at about 40kB, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 11:51:55 PM »
add the plant name to the jpeg before saving and do not resave the original
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal