We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Geranium Traversii Elegans, information wanted  (Read 3880 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Geranium Traversii Elegans, information wanted
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2009, 05:19:42 AM »
Dammit! I went to the dentist this afternoon and came away from there totally forgetting to call for the Geranium. I'll phone them and ask for a plant to be kept for me until the weekend.

Rob yours looks pretty much like the one I saw and I think it WAS called 'Purple Passion.' It was even darker than that, but that would be the different light conditions I guess.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2009, 05:46:21 AM »
Yeo says "it is easily lost lost... through winter damp"

Only time will tell, of course, but that statement always gives me a thread of encouragement!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2009, 06:04:08 AM »
Lori, I see we have another Forum poster in Calgary, called just, JC (pmm).

I accidentally deleted the topic in my Inbox that concerned the tropical waterlilies. You mentioned growing them under glass. I'd wondered about a spa pool. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2009, 09:49:19 AM »
G. sessiliflorum var nigricans  is quite invasive in gardens here
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

maggiepie

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2009, 11:36:25 AM »
Maggie,

Just took this, with some persicaria as a guide to size and colour. Sorry about the quality - I'm visually challenged ::).

Thanks Rob, I'm in love!!
Helen Poirier , Australia

maggiepie

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2009, 11:37:25 AM »
G. sessiliflorum var nigricans  is quite invasive in gardens here

Will keep my eye on mine if they survive winter.

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2009, 12:46:55 PM »
Geranium traversii grows well and seeds freely for me in the open garden. It should be hardy down to about -3 to 4 degrees though I am not sure how it would cope with being under snow for several weeks. The possums love it and will eat it down to the roots, but apart from that, it is hardy and persistent.

Geranium sessiliflorum has three colour forms, brown, green and an intermediate olive. Leaf colour is determined by one locus with two alleles neither of which is dominant the heterozygote giving the intermediate olive. There is also a coastal form Geranium sessiliflorum var arenarium.  I am not sure of the status of Geranium sessiliflorum var nigricans. I am guessing it is a horticultural selection rather than a valid variety. The species in all its forms seeds freely. The flowers are fairly small a borne well down among the leaves - it is not exactly a choice plant.

I am posting a picture of Geranium traversii growing in the wild on the Chatham Islands.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2009, 01:12:02 PM »
G. sessiliflorum var. nigricans has survived a winter here, so far.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2009, 10:18:16 PM »
Hybrids based on G. traversii shouldn't be invasive even in best conditions. G. sessiliflorum in both green and dark forms does seed about however, profusely.

maggiepie

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2009, 10:30:13 PM »
Geranium traversii grows well and seeds freely for me in the open garden. It should be hardy down to about -3 to 4 degrees though I am not sure how it would cope with being under snow for several weeks. The possums love it and will eat it down to the roots, but apart from that, it is hardy and persistent.

Geranium sessiliflorum has three colour forms, brown, green and an intermediate olive. Leaf colour is determined by one locus with two alleles neither of which is dominant the heterozygote giving the intermediate olive. There is also a coastal form Geranium sessiliflorum var arenarium.  I am not sure of the status of Geranium sessiliflorum var nigricans. I am guessing it is a horticultural selection rather than a valid variety. The species in all its forms seeds freely. The flowers are fairly small a borne well down among the leaves - it is not exactly a choice plant.

I am posting a picture of Geranium traversii growing in the wild on the Chatham Islands.

David, thanks for the information, although I do have to say that mine will be under snow for 3-4 months rather than weeks.
The pic shows you can't beat the way nature plans things.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal