We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Brodick Castle Gardens  (Read 4479 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Brodick Castle Gardens
« on: April 13, 2007, 09:04:37 PM »
Finally managed to downsize the pictures after threatening XP and Adobe Photoshop with termination.
We had a great trip to Brodick on Arran yesterday.  The weather was like the middle of Summer with only a gentle breeze blowing, so much so that we sat on the upper deck of the ferry going and returning.
We had never been to the gardens at this time of year so it was interesting to see what was doing.
I would reckon that about 30% of the Rhododendrons were in flower, with the main display to come about early to mid May with the Maddeni group a bit later. The Horlick's collection was looking really healthy with the main display about 3 weeks away.   The Magnolias will probably be at their best in a few days, provided we have no late frosts  I have added two botanical Rhoddies just for curiosity value.  I can't imagine anyone really wanting to grow them
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007, 05:28:01 PM by TC »
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Brodick Castle Gardens
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2007, 09:13:14 PM »
some more pictures.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2007, 09:16:53 PM »
Great pix Tom - beautiful plants !
Thanks for taking us with you on your visit ! :D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »
Managed to post two pictures of zero bytes.  Try again!
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2007, 09:25:49 PM »
Fabulous Tom. You keep taking 'em I'll keep looking at 'em ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2007, 09:30:01 PM »
Tom, I'm in rhodo heaven! Thanks to you and Cindy for this trip! I'm not sure, but I think the Erythronium in your picture look more like E. revolutum... leaf markings, height, shade, shape of flower...might you be mistaken?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 11:48:15 PM »
Correct Maggi.  We were planting some dens canis this afternoon and I came on the computer shortly after.
I must have been thinking about that when I was naming the plants.
Here are a few of the "Botanics".  Not really garden plants but interesting to Rhoddy buffs.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2007, 12:15:07 AM »
TC nice walking with You.
Do You by any chance no the name of the Yellow magnolia and also how big it was?
Thans for the pictures.
Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

charlotte

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2007, 08:46:18 AM »
Tom,
Thank you, thank you, thank you.  As an ardent species Rhododendron grower I am intrigued by the Rh spinuliferum & Rh genestierianum.  Most unusual!  Will I attempt to grow them???  One never knows!
Again, the tour was a real delight & I thank you for sharing your photos with us.

Charlotte
Charlotte
Renaix, Belgium

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2007, 09:49:47 AM »
Joakim
The yellow flowered Magnolia did not have a label on it.  It may be M.acuminata.  I have a M. acuminata "Butterflies" in my back garden which has not flowered yet.  I bought it because of its yellow flowers and its flowering date of June - after the last frosts.  I have just looked up acuminata butterflies on Google.  It can reach 6 metres high and the flowers are 120cms.  I have planted it 2 metres from my dining room window - probably not a wise move !
I have attached a picture of the tree at Brodick.  Just now, it is about 3 metres high
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2007, 09:52:38 AM »
For some reason the picture did not attach to the last posting
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2007, 10:09:37 AM »
TC thanks for the information about the Magnolia and the extra picture.
It is a nice one.
In June the weather should be nice so You can ofen the window and let the magolia flower inside :)
Did You have a chanse to smell it? It is an extra bonus if the flowers have a nice scent

Thanks again
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2007, 11:43:03 AM »
Thank you for the tour.  Wonderful plants.  I grow R genesterianum and have had  R spinuliferum.  R genesterianum looks good planted on a bank where it can be seen against the sky.  The colour is unusual.

Keep on showing us the species, they are great.

Susan.
Dunedin, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2007, 01:01:57 AM »
Thanks Tom for these great shots. I've always wanted to visit Brodick Castle. Maybe this is the nearest I'll get. The unusual species are of particular interest as they're rarely seen. As one's tastes develop over years, the species are favoured more and more I think, the big flashy hybrids less so.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal