We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: LATE Pulsatillas  (Read 2913 times)

Darren

Re: LATE Pulsatillas
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2009, 01:06:16 PM »
Lori - thank you for posting your encouraging contribution here. I have never even bothered asking for Pulsatilla seed from exchanges as I always assumed I'd be wasting my time on dead seed. I'm still not convinced I wouldnt get a packet full of chaff though like i did with some Dryas last year!
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2009, 01:22:48 PM »
I almost wish the seedlings in pots WOULD die. I always sow some from each colour I have and because they germinate so well, the pots are crowded. I tend to put off potting them up because there are so many and it's easier and more interesting to do all the other things of which there are fewer so I have multiple pots of pulsatilla seedlings, especially vulgaris, sitting around waiting and going nowhere. Other species are not so prolific though, but still germinate well in seed pots and subsequently grow on all right.

Lesley,

I think I am going to have to kill you for the "WOULD die" comment.  Argh!!!!!  I wish the vernalis seed you sent me a few years ago had survived transplanting.  ::)  They germinated fine, but none survived transplanting.  I'll have to work out what went wrong before I try again one day.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2009, 09:11:46 PM »
I didn't get seed on mine last year Paul and this year doesn't look better so I can't send more at present. It's odd - and annoying - that some of the prettiest vulgaris forms don't want to set seed and have to be encouraged. Louise Salmond's comment yesterday was that the old 'Pink Denim' strain (which comes pretty much true) needs hand pollinating and also lots of water at this time. Worth thinking about. She also had a brilliant red with almost black/red inner but lighter, bright red at the petal tips.

I have a seedling which appeared like Topsy, and it is pale blue, a really good blue with very compact foliage. It just about looks like a hybrid between PP. vulgaris and vernalis. Needless to say, it too is not setting seed.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2009, 09:42:42 PM »
and also lots of water at this time

....now that's something I think may be very important. we can have dry spells when Pulsatillas would be setting seed and I quite believe that that could be a factor in the lack of good seed production.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal