We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus April 2007  (Read 14508 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Crocus April 2007
« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2007, 11:21:36 PM »
I find with many violas that they flower and set no seed in spring then set seed without having flowered, in autumn. But V. pedata has never set any seed, any time. Darn it. It flowers well off and on though. V. pedatifida on the other hand, seeds about and is almost a nuisance, though pretty.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #31 on: May 23, 2007, 11:49:24 PM »
Thanks everyone. I looked at some Star of Bethlehem in another part of my yard, looks like the mystery is solved. I will dig it up after it flowers, and place else wheres.

I'm seeing crocus pods around the yard, and some in the holding bed. I think I'm going to have a bumper crop this year.

When the seed pod pops up on the stalk-thingy, how long do you usually wait to pick? Last year I wrapped tinfoil around the pods, and waited until they started to break down, before I picked them.

Thanks for info.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #32 on: May 30, 2007, 01:36:58 PM »
Some more unusual flowerings for Northern Gardens:

These plants were imported from the Southern hemisphere,
Crocus longiflorus albus
Crocus caspius
Crocus minimus albus
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2007, 10:04:02 PM »
They look great Thomas. Nice to see one of mine in there :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Kees Jan

• Kees Jan's botanical trips
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2007, 03:35:26 PM »
Here are some pics of Turkish croci. First three pics of C. aerius, photographed at Sogani Geçidi (2230m) in NE Turkey on May 15th. We found it again at Zigana Pass a couple of days later but there it was past its best. By the way, many Crocus anthers and styles at Sogani Geçidi (2230m) were eaten by something!

Perhaps this is done by the insect (what is it?) that you can see on one of the two Crocus biflorus pictures from the western part of the Palendoken Mts. Could this be ssp. tauri??

The last of the six pictures is also some form of biflorus, this time from near the tree line just west of Camlibel Gecidi, at about 2300m altitudes (between Ardahan Artvin). It was photographed on 8 May. Any idea of the subspecies?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2007, 07:34:22 PM by Kees Jan »
Kees Jan van Zwienen

Alblasserdam, The Netherlands (joint editor of Folium Alpinum, the journal of the Dutch Rock Garden Club "NRV")

photosite: http://keesjan.smugmug.com
twitter: https://twitter.com/KJVZ10
http://www.facebook.com/kees.jan.927

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2007, 11:06:26 PM »
Lovely pictures Kees Jan. And beautiful variation in the C. aerius.

Thomas Huber

• Neustadt Croconut
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2007, 07:57:36 AM »
Hi Kees, thanks for the wonderful photos of these Turkish crocusses!

I have heard of black beatles, enjoying crocus flowers for lunch, so maybe you found the culprit!

Sorry, I don't dare an ID of the unknown biflorus ssp only by photo. The only people who
might give you an exact ID are probably Kerndorff / Pasche!
Thomas Huber, Neustadt - Germany (230m)

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2007, 02:18:38 AM »
    Hi Kees! these are very nice pictures. I have seen first time white aerius. I will take a few your photos
to my photo archives. It is important for me to know flowering time on the wild. That area is very interesting for me too. But too far!.
    Your biflorus tauri is right. But your last biflorus is very strange. It is not known in the area. In the area
there are only biflorus artvinensis which has ony one strip auter petals. It might be also reticulatus ssp
reticulatus which live in the Caucasusia. If the corm is biflorus then it should be near to biflorus artvinensis
because biflorus group is very variable. For example where I live there is biflorus adamii. I have seen with one srtıp, with three strips, without strip or fully violet...  No idea more.
     I hope you have seen also colchicum szowitsi in the same area.!
     Thanks to share them with us........

ibrahim.

I.S.

• http://crocusmania.blogspot.com/search/label/Crocus
« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2007, 04:54:30 AM »
   Kees! for the eaten anthers; The snails or a kind of snails. They like so much anthers, only anthers
not another parts. I have seen severel times in the act.
   Your last biflorus also can be biflorus ssp tauri. I have seen stripped one also..

ibrahim..
« Last Edit: June 12, 2007, 04:57:08 AM by ibrahim »

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2007, 06:41:30 PM »
Kees, thank you for the nice crocus pics.
It's always a pleasure to see them growing in the wild.
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal