We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Double form of Sanguinaria canadensis  (Read 3333 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Double form of Sanguinaria canadensis
« on: August 31, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
Hi All

I have been clearing out a bit of border to make space for a Podophyllum I have just been given.  This has resulted in a few spare clumps (now potted up) of the 'double form' of Sanguinaria canadensis to give away for free.  Collection from Kent - or can probably post as the leaves are dying back now anyway and I can easily unpot them again and pop them into a 'chinese takeaway box' for posting.

Anyone interested?

I'll give it a couple of weeks and then take any leftovers to the local charity shop.

Cheers

John
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:28:17 PM by Maggi Young »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
Re: OFFERED: Double form of Sanguinaria canadensis
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:17:25 PM »
. . .  the 'double form' of Sanguinaria canadensis . . .

In case anyone cares, the most commonly accepted cultivar name is 'Multiplex'.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 05:43:12 PM »

True, though that name always makes me think of these fancy new-fangled cinema houses!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:55:12 PM »
. . .  the 'double form' of Sanguinaria canadensis . . .

Hi Roger

I have seen so many different names for what are obviously the same plant that.....

.....I at first thought about typing this, and then I thought about typing that, and in the end decided to go for the safest option.   ;D

'double form'  ;)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 06:57:09 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:20:10 PM »
I have seen so many different names for what are obviously the same plant that.....

.....I at first thought about typing this, and then I thought about typing that, and in the end decided to go for the safest option.   ;D

'double form'  ;)

Coward! :P

The early history of this plant is surprisingly obscure. I've read that it was found near Columbus, Ohio - but also that it was found at Dayton, Ohio! Perhaps the most reliable source is Hortus Third and its predecessors. Hortus Third (publ 1976) say 'Multiplex' and gives as (invalid) synonyms v. plena and cv. 'Flore Pleno'. Hortus Second (1941) calls it var. multiplex. Hortus, the first in the series, publ. 1930, does not mention a double form at all.

None of the Hortus volumes mention where it was first found.

Dear Google coughs up some interesting web pages when confronted with "double bloodroot". One, at http://iowagarden.blogspot.com/2008/04/double-bloodrootdont-even-ask.html says,

The double bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis f. multiplex) is a lovely thing; when first unfolding, it always makes me think of an elegant waterlily. The plants sold in general commerce all come from one plant found, according to an account in Linc and Laura Foster's classic book Cuttings From A Rock Garden , in the spring of 1917 in a woods in Dayton, Ohio. Mr. von Webern who had purchased the woods and found the double bloodroot, fortunately sent out a couple of the plants; the original colony apparently eventually died out, but he had sent one plant to the Montreal Botanical Garden, which in turn distributed it into commerce. A few other double flowered bloodroot plants have since been found; in the southeast and perhaps in New England, as well as a pink flowered single. I don't know if any of the other doubles found have had as many extra petals as Mr. von Webern's plant. The doubles are very expensive, because they don't set seed so must (slowly) be propagated vegetatively. However, the $75 price I see charged by a certain well-known nursery is ridiculous.
Various garden visitors here are bold enough to ask for "a piece" of some pretty scarce plants. More often than not, I'll get out a trowel; if ever I turn them down it's usually only when I know they'll kill the plant before the day is done. However, if somebody asked me to pot them up one or two of the double bloodroots, I'd laugh, and I'd laugh...

Given Linc Foster's position in rock gardening circles, I think we can take this account as definitive.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 12:29:13 AM by Rodger Whitlock »
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:55:15 AM »
John,

If only I could take you up on that.  ::)  I think I'll go off for a cry now.  :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009, 04:25:11 AM »
Paul , don't cry : the double Sanguinaria grows in my garden (easy)and in a few other gardens . It is just pushing through the ground , so I,ll send you a plant , presto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2009, 04:28:31 AM »
Otto,

I am NOT trying to strip everything out of your garden and send it here to Canberra.  :o :o  I think I am going to have to be careful what I comment on here on the forums.... I'm getting guiltier and guiltier about things appearing in the mail.

Actually, that sounds ungrateful, and I am most definitely grateful for what appears in the mail from you.... it is just that I know there is no way I can ever send a fraction in return, just the rare odd thing that you DON'T already grow.  ;D

Thanks Otto.  It really is appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:31:42 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gunilla

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2009, 08:00:52 AM »

The early history of this plant is surprisingly obscure. I've read that it was found near Columbus, Ohio - but also that it was found at Dayton, Ohio! Perhaps the most reliable source is Hortus Third and its predecessors. Hortus Third (publ 1976) say 'Multiplex' and gives as (invalid) synonyms v. plena and cv. 'Flore Pleno'. Hortus Second (1941) calls it var. multiplex. Hortus, the first in the series, publ. 1930, does not mention a double form at all.

None of the Hortus volumes mention where it was first found.

Dear Google coughs up some interesting web pages when confronted with "double bloodroot". One, at http://iowagarden.blogspot.com/2008/04/double-bloodrootdont-even-ask.html says,

Thanks Rodger, I always find it fascinating to read about the history and origin of our garden plants.  The double bloodroot grows in a shady part of my garden and multiplies quite happily. It's a lovely spring flower.
Gunilla   Ekeby in the south of Sweden

Gerry Webster

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 08:47:59 PM »

True, though that name always makes me think of these fancy new-fangled cinema houses!
Nick Wrigley - the brilliant gentleman in charge of the most enterprising DVD publisher in the UK (Masters of Cinema) - refers to them as "Multiperplexes".
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
Offer closed Double form of Sanguinaria canadensis
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2009, 08:09:46 AM »
Hi All

4 packages have now been sent out and there is none left to giveaway.

Regards

John
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 12:28:44 PM by Maggi Young »
John

Guff

• USA New York
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 07:09:21 PM »
Just posting to show another form of the Bloodroot "Tennessee Form". It has 12 petals. This one does set seed. It will be a couple more years before I see seedlings flower.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 07:11:37 PM by Guff »

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2009, 11:54:05 PM »
John
Many thanks for the package that arrived safely this weekend.  All planted up and watered in!  Very generous of you and I hope there will be something I can send you one day.
Best wishes
Tony G

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Double form of Sanguinaria canadensis
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2009, 05:30:44 AM »
I have just got a pot of the normal Sanguinaria from a friend here in Canberra as well, so I have it again!  His was from wild seed apparently and he's had anything from 8 to 12 petals on his seedlings I think he said.  I have 3 nice flowers on the pot I got from him, plus 2 nice buds on the double that Otto sent me.  Very, very cool!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal