We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium  (Read 3486 times)

Ray

Erythronium
« on: August 24, 2009, 03:38:58 AM »
An ID for this one thanks bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Erythronium
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 04:21:56 AM »
Ray,

I can't quite tell from the pictures.... does the stem branch at all, or is it multiple singular flower stems arising from the centre?  If the latter, then it is Erythronium multiscapoideum, but if it branches above ground then it isn't that species.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ray

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 05:49:21 AM »
Hi Paul,the flower spike is about 8ins tall and it has another spike coming from about 3ins up that same stem.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 05:59:10 AM »
Ray,

OK, if it branches above ground then it takes out the multiscapoideum.  There are a couple of different species, so will have to do some research to try to work out which it is, unless it is one of the named varieties.  Did you buy it as a plant or grow it from seed?
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Ray

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 06:11:46 AM »
Hi Paul,these have been grown from seed,only have a couple of cultivars and they have not flowered as yet. bye Ray,
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 04:30:27 PM »
That prominent yellow eye reminds me of E. helenae.

I'm sure I have a key to Erythronium in the house somewhere, but can't remember just what book or file folder it's in. If I find it, I'll see what it suggests.

Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 07:38:33 PM »
Ray from the details I can see in the picture I would suggest E. californicum.

Based on the white pollen straight style, yellow zone in centre with some degree of markings.
To confirm the ID you will need to check the filaments which if it is E. californicum will be slender and ribbon like.

Nice plant - is there an Erythronioum species that is not great?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:03:01 AM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 11:13:54 PM »
Thanks Ian.  I'd hoped someone in the know would ID.  Like Rodger I was leanign towards helenae, but needed to go and look up the differences with californicum etc to find out the key features. 8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ray

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 12:34:38 AM »
Hi Paul,Ian & Roger,thanks for the replies.E helenae will be flowering in a week or two so hopefully they will be both flowering at the same time and I will be able to compare them.
I have often seen the word "keys" used in ID plants and assuming that this is a botanical description of a plant,were would I find these keys if I wanted to ID Erythronium's or any other genus.thanks bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Rodger Whitlock

• overly well-read
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 02:14:12 AM »
E helenae will be flowering in a week or two so hopefully they will be both flowering at the same time and I will be able to compare them.
I have often seen the word "keys" used in ID plants and assuming that this is a botanical description of a plant,were would I find these keys if I wanted to ID Erythronium's or any other genus.

For Pacific coast erythronium, the single best key would be in the Jepson Manual "Higher Plants of California".

Keys aren't just botanical descriptions. The usual design calls for you to compare your plant to a yes-no type of question and depending on the answer, you go to one or another question. The process repeats (with different questions at each stage) until you end up at species. Writing a good botanical key is not easy -- and many of them are hard to use.

My recollection of the key to Erythronium in the latest Jepson Manual is that it's pretty easy to use and depends solely on the characteristics of the flower, with the exception of asking if the leaves are plain green or (mottled, marked, or marbled).

You probably won't find the Jepson manual in an ordinary public library but check the nearest university or ask the botanists there if anyone has a copy.
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Stephen Vella

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 05:00:56 AM »
Hi Ray,

E helenae has yellow anthers and E californicum has white anthers. Just cheched out the key here at work. Surprised you have E helenae as its rare in Australia.

cheers
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 05:06:15 AM »
Hi Ray,

E helenae has yellow anthers and E californicum has white anthers. Just cheched out the key here at work. Surprised you have E helenae as its rare in Australia.

cheers
It's been grown in Victoria for many years ;D
I only have one but it's the one Erythronium which returns each year!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 07:49:25 AM »
Fermi,

I have it here too I think.  Doesn't multiply for me either though.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ray

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 07:59:13 AM »
Hi Rodger,thanks for that info.
Hi Stephen,the label says E helenae,but this will be its first year flowering so time will tell if I really have this species.bye Ray
Ray Evans
Colac
Victoria Australia

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 09:49:00 AM »
There are a number of very closely related Erythronium species that have similar flowers which are basically white with a yellow centre. To identify the species you have to check the colour of the leaves, the shape of the filaments, the colour of the pollen, the tip of the style and the swollen appendages at the base of the floral segments..

One of the main features I use to identify E helenae is the bent style plus it has a beautiful scent.
I have posted pictures of both E helenae and californicum below to help.

I must add that the keys work well when dealing with true species but in cultivation there are many hybrids that are intermediate so will not key out.
E helenae and E. californicum hybridise and I have named on E. 'Craigton Cream'.
I have never had a true form of E helenae that increases well despite what has been written about it being a ' rapid increaser', however the hybrids do increase well leading me to believe that the original author of that statement was growing a hybrid.
I would love to be proven wrong and if some one does have a true E helenae that increases well it would be wonderful as it is a beautiful species with such a lovely scent I would Love to have drifts of it in our garden.

Below
E. californicum
E helenae
click on the photos to enlarge them-
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:04:56 AM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal