We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Hello, any Meconopsis can warm tolerate?  (Read 4689 times)

yijiawang

Hello, any Meconopsis can warm tolerate?
« on: August 23, 2009, 05:01:48 AM »
Hello, I am in China now, and saw many Meconopsis on highland. I try to grow some but all are failure. so just wondering if any Meconopsis can raising in warm climate? because my city is hot in summber, usually over 30C(90F) in the day and 22~25C(70~80F) at the night.

Thank you for your help, I like the blue flower very much!
Yijia

ichristie

• Former President
Re: Hello, any Meconopsis can warm tolerate?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 08:49:40 AM »
Hello, great to hear from you and that you like the Big Blue Poppies. Meconopsis are native to China but grow in the cooler high mountains but it would be worth a try if you could either plant amongst some trees, shrubs or in the shade of a house or building. We have a shade house covered with green netting to give shade and stop high winds blowing the flowers over. You would also need a watering system ( not water with lime)maybe try growing a plant in a large pot which you could move around to find the best place to grow,   cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

yijiawang

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 08:17:05 AM »
Hello Christie,

Thank you for quick reply, I usually see this genus plants on highland , usually altitude over 3000meters, in some area over 4000meter. very hard to climb but very very unique alpine plants. Meconopsis Chinese name is 绿绒蒿(lu-rong-hao),means green fuzzy grass, interesting genus for me, I will try to grow it next year. but at first I need think about how to get some seeds...hehe.

Yijia

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »
Hi again, the next time you climb the high mountains looking for meconopsis please if possible can you take some pictures. i have visited China and the high mountains but it would be fantastic to see where you go,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Chuck

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 06:52:48 AM »
I would suggest growing it in climate controlled structures where they grow Cymbidium  tortisepalum  蓮瓣蘭

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal