We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: 2 unknown double Galanthus  (Read 4440 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: 2 unknown double Galanthus
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 03:03:10 AM »
well fine, if you've taken all his stock then I won't bother.  :P

;D ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Stephen Vella

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »
Paul if you would like a bulb of Barbras double I will be digging up the clump??

Here's another, a double yellow. Marcus has this as well. It stands at 10cm, so cute! and the flowers are a real treat. It seems to have more vigor than Barbaras double :)
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2009, 10:37:45 AM »
Is it Lady Elphinstone or a selection from Australia?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2009, 11:10:16 AM »
Look after the 'Barbara's Double'. It's a very special little snowdrop. I think it's quite possibly the best of the nivalis-plicatus hybrid doubles.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2009, 11:16:10 AM »
Stephen,

I would be very interested in a bulb of Barbra's Double.  It looks like a cracker of a plant.

The double yellow looks fascinating.  It doesn't appear to be as regularly arranged as Mark's pics of LE, but I've never managed to be successful with it here so I have no first hand experience.  My first yellow to ever flower is currently in full bud (Spindlestone Surprise), which will be a first viewing of a yellow in person for me. For some reason I have always struggled with the yellows, never even managing to flower a new bulb (the buds abort and the leaves end up distorted), so this one is a particular triumph.  Thanks so much Otto!!  ;D  So do you think your yellow isn't Lady Elphinstone, Stephen?  Do you have that as well?
« Last Edit: August 22, 2009, 11:18:46 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Stephen Vella

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2009, 01:27:12 PM »
Yes I agree Martin, Barbaras double is a very special snow drop and especially after hearing from Marcus that it was one that I imported from a stall at the time when we went to Alpines 2001, where a few of us Aussies went, including Otto and Fermi. I brought back a few Galanthus cultivars that Marcus quarantined and I just forgot.

Paul and Mark, the pic of the double yellow I know is Lady Elphinstone(the pic is labeled). I thought Paul would be interested in it since we are talking doubles. Im sure Marcus imported this one from the U.K. Nice pic Mark thanks.

Paul Its not like I have treated Lady Elphistone with any special care, although Galanthus seems to like my garden, great soil and great climate. I will pm u about Barbra's double

cheers

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2009, 02:53:42 AM »
Stephen , just came across your 2 Gal. queries , I only have the common niv. fl.pl. with the
untidy centre -see pic I took this morning - a bulb of 'Barbra'sDouble ' would be a wonderful
 Christmas present?
 G. niv. ' Lady Elphinstone ' has been in Australia at least 20 odd years , it was imported
 by that wonderful gardener (now in heaven) Essie Huxley in Tasmania.
  Mark has already put the right name on your G. 'Lady Beatrix Stanley' , this one and
 'Lavinia' were the first doubles I imported 40 years ago from the english Bulb nursery
 of Colonel Mars . Does anyone know if it still operates ?
        Otto.
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2009, 09:41:49 PM »
Col. Mars of Haslemere in Surrey? No, alas, he is no longer with us. Or rather his nursery isn't, not for many years. I'd not be surprised to learn that he too, was gone, perhaps to meet with Essie.H. I used to import from him too Otto, mainly Cyclamen as I recall but he had some wonderful things. Oh for the days when there was no "Permitted" list. I remember I had to deal with Customs, not Ag and Forestry (Fish, as it was then)

Paul, I'm only asking Marcus for 1 Barbara's Double. He has listed Lady Elphinstone in the past and I hope he may have a bulb to spare of that for me too.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Stephen Vella

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 03:18:48 AM »
Hi Otto,

Yes you can have Barbra Double for Christmas and I hope I get some bulbs for Christmas too ;) ;) ;)

Yes Essie did have some amazing looking plants.

Thanks for the pic and the info.

I'll pm you
Cheers

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal