We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Glenarn gardens  (Read 3543 times)

TC

• Roving Reporter
Glenarn gardens
« on: April 05, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
Rather than get the Rhododendron section filled up with pictures taken here and there, I thought it would be better to show separate gardens systematically. This will give our columnists an idea of what these gardens are like during the season.  Cindy and I visited Glenarn yesterday on a sunny windless and warm day.  We were the only people in the garden from 1145 to 1345.
Photography in a mature garden such as this presents challenges.  The sheer size of the Rhododendrons makes it difficult to show the flowers to their best.  Some of these Rhodies are as big as trees - up to 15 metres or 45 feet in old money.  This means that the flower trusses can look like coloured dots if you go far enough back to get the whole shrub in.  With these constraints in mind, I have shown the plants full size where possible and some close-ups of the flower trusses.  It is really just to get a flavour of what there is to see.  I hope to get back there in May when the season is at its most colourful. BENMORE, ARDUIANE AND LOGAN are also on the list.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
Re: Glenarn gardens
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 11:44:04 AM »
More pictures.  As there were almost no labels visible on the Rhodies, I have not put names to anything other than a suggestion
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 11:46:27 AM »
STILL MORE
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 11:48:59 AM »
YET MORE
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:52:05 AM »
Last for now
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Carlo

• BirdMan and Botanical Blogger
    • BotanicalGardening.com
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 01:28:09 PM »
For those not aware (maybe everyone knows and no one told me...), Benmore and Logan are part of the four gardens that make up the Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh. While  I have not been to these two or Dawyck, the garden at Edinburgh is absolutely magical. Don't even bother going if you'll be bothered by the ease at which they grow meconopsis, paris, cardiocrinum and other goodies that gardens further south can't handle. You'll find magnificent rhododendron displays throughout.

Carlo
Carlo A. Balistrieri
Vice President
The Garden Conservancy
Zone 6

Twitter: @botanicalgarden
Visit: www.botanicalgardening.com and its BGBlog, http://botanicalgardening.com/serendipity/index.php

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 01:52:26 PM »
Tom, Cindy, thanks for this!  Glenarn is a wonderful place for rhododendrons particularly and is a private garden, managed maintained and improved by the busy hands of SRGC members Sue and Mike Thornley.
And these folks have day jobs, too, you know!!

Here is some info about Glenarn for anyone contemplating a visit, taken from their contact page from the "Beautiful Gardens of Argyll site: http://www.gardens-of-argyll.co.uk/html/gardens/glenarn.htm

"The gateway to Argyll from the south, Glenarn is a private garden largely created and originally made famous for its collection of species rhododendrons by the Gibson family. Established in the 1920’s & 30’s the garden lies in a protected hollow with a steeply sloping glen running its length and providing shelter for large-leafed and tender rhododendrons. Early in the spring, tall asiatic magnolias create dramatic interest while other plants such as crinodendrons, eucryphias and pieris give colour at different times. A large rock garden built around the old quarry and natural rock outcrop provides a variety of habitats for meconopsis, primulas, and many bulbs in season. Guided tours and catering by arrangement. Plants for sale."

Glenarn Road Rhu Nr Helensburgh G84 8LL

TEL: 01436 820493
FAX: 0141 221 8450

E-MAIL: masthome@dial.pipex.com

OPEN: 21st March - 21st September dawn till dusk.
Guided tours available to groups booked advance.

GETTING THERE: Off the A814 two miles north of Helensburgh
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 07:35:57 PM »
Great pictures Tom, keep 'em coming.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal