We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Shunda to Columbia Icefields, Alberta Rockies in July  (Read 14874 times)

cohan

• forest gnome
Re: Shunda to Columbia Icefields, Alberta Rockies in July
« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2009, 08:45:42 AM »
Thanks for reply, Cohan, was thining anyone with a glutin allergy should be cautious - don't know if it could affect one through the skin?

Made a couple of comments about the mountain scenes in my modified post above - we have quite a few plug of rock here on top of the mountains but I've never seen one on the side  ::)

robin, without looking it up, not positive, but i suspect the gluten in wheat etc allergies, and the 'glutin'ous sticky stems are probably just two different modern uses of an original root word...

i think i know which rock you are talking about, i cropped a closer view of it, attached here--i assume what is going on there is that this mountain is composed of horizontal strata tipped up to near vertical, and since they are not all the same material, they are eroding at different rates: the softer layers eroding faster leaving dips, the hard stone eroding slowly and resulting in crags and outcroppings..

btw--sorry for poor image quality--this is a telephoto shot from the window of a moving vehicle, with water and bug spots on the windshield, then cropped for this view...lol
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 08:48:53 AM by cohan »

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2009, 08:49:53 AM »
Wow, what an amazing formation pulled in such different directions in a relatively small area - astonishing!
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

cohan

• forest gnome
« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2009, 08:52:23 AM »
Wow, what an amazing formation pulled in such different directions in a relatively small area - astonishing!

yes, the forces involved are phenomenal and fascinating, no? as you mentioned, the wavy formations in other places are very interesting, as well

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #108 on: November 24, 2014, 04:34:33 AM »
s
3,4 pea B Hedysarum sulphurescens? confirmed id
both of these species in the 40-80cm range, roughly

This appears to be Astragalus canadensis, not Hedysarum suphurescens.  Note that the seed pods aren't loments.
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal