We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Viola corsica from seed - advice?  (Read 2467 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Viola corsica from seed - advice?
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »
Anyone have any advice on sowing seed of Viola corsica? My parents and I have been growing it for years and it self-seeds, but whenever I've tried collecting seed and deliberately sowing it, I've had very poor or no germination.

I'm assuming immediate sowing, not allowing the seed to dry out, is advisable and shallow sowing, only just covering the seed. But does anyone have any other suggestions for what might work best? Would storing the seed of this one and sowing in winter work better? Or surface sowing, or what? Any ideas (and any suggestions for success with viola seed generally) most welcome.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Viola corsica from seed - advice?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:38:01 PM »
Viola corsica belongs to the pansy type of violets. Pansies are germinating better under dark conditions, i.e. cover the seeds a little bit with light soil and place them shady at first.
Normally most violets of the pansy section germinate without problems, even when sown in spring. Unfortunately I have no personal experience with Viola corsica seeds, but I guess it will be best if you sow immediately under the conditions mentioned above.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Viola corsica from seed - advice?
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:50:50 PM »
Thanks, Gerd. That's pretty much what I thought. It shouldn't be difficult to germinate, so I don't know what went wrong in the past. Maybe waterlogged pots in past very wet summers. I'll try again, but keep the pots under cover this time. It's a lovely viola.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal