We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus 2006  (Read 59200 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Galanthus 2006
« Reply #105 on: December 26, 2006, 11:00:03 AM »
I'm not sure about solid insecticides, but I use the one sold for vine weevil to get rid of red spiders (and general insect pests) and it works well, especially on my Plumaria sp. (Frangipani).
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #106 on: December 26, 2006, 12:10:24 PM »
Andrew I use Benlate.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #107 on: December 26, 2006, 12:37:52 PM »
You are lucky to have some Benlate left (I finished mine last year) it hasn't been manufactured now for some years. I still think it was the best fungicide made.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

admin

• Administrator
  • Something on the screen moved! The sky is falling!
« Reply #108 on: December 26, 2006, 04:19:49 PM »
Here are some leaf types for thse unfamiliar with Galanthus
1. The leaves grow with their upper surface facing each other, Applanate, as in G. nivalis
2. The leaves have the edges folded back.  They flatten with age. Explicate as in G. plicatus
3. One leaf wraps around the other until they seperate, Supervolute, like G. elwesii. Hooded on leaf tips

Some excellent information there Mark. Very useful for we who are unfamiliar with Galanthus other than the common nivalis

snowdropcollector

« Reply #109 on: December 26, 2006, 07:21:47 PM »
Mark, for me it is all new and have to experience when all different species will flower. I have a small collection for only four years now. It is hard to find different species overhere in the Netherlands. So all help is welcome !
I took a look at my collection yesterday, Sickle and Wendy's Gold are also almost flowering. Wendy's Gold doesn't look to well, leaves are a little pale/yellow. Maybe to wet for them ?
Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #110 on: December 26, 2006, 08:48:39 PM »
Richard a good collection, not saying yours isnt, will have some flowering now and some over.

Here are some leaf types for thse unfamiliar with Galanthus
1. The leaves grow with their upper surface facing each other, Applanate, as in G. nivalis
2. The leaves have the edges folded back.  They flatten with age. Explicate as in G. plicatus
3. One leaf wraps around the other until they seperate, Supervolute, like G. elwesii. Hooded on leaf tips

Ah no, Ian, I cannot agree when you say 'Some excellent information there mark. Very useful for we who are unfamiliar with Galanthus other than the common nivalis.'  This is basic stuff, unrequested information and available in any reference book on snowdrops.The post referred to was, in fact, made by Admin, our Webmaster.

Mark, please spare us the lessons.

Paddy
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 12:26:14 AM by Maggi Young »
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #111 on: December 26, 2006, 09:02:21 PM »
Richard,

I went to the garden with my camera today with more hope than belief that the weather would allow a photograph of that snowdrop I mentioned yesterday. It was a miserable day here, very dark, with constant light drizzle though not cold. I did not expect any snowdrops to be open but this little fellow defied the conditions.

This is Galanthus 'Castlegar'

Paddy

vanhouttewim

« Reply #112 on: December 26, 2006, 09:05:14 PM »
I agree that mark has given us excellent information and interesting to read! good pictures too. Wim >:(

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #113 on: December 26, 2006, 09:06:29 PM »
Paddy
I knew the above information partly through Marks webpage and I still had no problem being informed again.
There are a lot of people that do not know this since not every one here have acces to reference books on snowdrops.
It is a lot of people reading ths with out writing and they might not know this.
If You do not like a post do not read it! There is no need to reply in rude way unless it is rude. I DO have a problem with comments that are rude without any reason!  So if anyone should spare us anything it people that have rude comments without reason.

Kind regards
Joakim
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #114 on: December 26, 2006, 10:08:09 PM »
Joakim & Wim,

As a member of several garden clubs/societies for many years one aspect of these clubs, also evident in television garden programmes and most gardening magazines, is that they seldom move away from the basics and don't take into account that after several years members are interested in more detailed and more advanced information. The result is that these organisations fail to develop beyond a continuous cycle of beginners as more long term members leave out of boredom.

You would be incorrect to assume from my comments above that I am an expert gardener. Far from it, in fact, but I do wish to continue learning more and more and absolutely love reading of the experiences of other gardeners and seeing photographs of what they have growing in their gardens. It is for these aspects of the forum that I visit. Ian Young has an excellent 'Bulb Log' which is, I believe,  the proper and correct place for instructional material. Unrequested 'instructional' material posted in one of the general forums is out of place in my opinion. I find the presumption of the poster that the other readers/visitors to the forums are in need of his instruction unpalatable. Should this information have been requested by any previous poster then, I think, it would be perfectly in order that it be posted as a reply but it came without request. Why?

Paddy

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #115 on: December 26, 2006, 10:43:31 PM »
I wont be drawn into an argument, thanks for the positive feedback, but would like to say soon 2000 people will have viewed the snowdrop pages and many more when the season gets into full swing. I write to educate those on the sidelines too. Many people into snowdrops dont know about leaf types and how hybrids affect leaf types. Should I only show photos of rarities? Should I bother to show the top 20 on this web site?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 12:27:23 AM by Maggi Young »

vanhouttewim

« Reply #116 on: December 26, 2006, 11:37:52 PM »
hi ,

It's good to see all the different galanthus on clear photos here , especially the very rare and new types, which can not be seen in books.
Could you post more pictures from your garden- overview? the greatest places of your garden....
Do you grow the Galanthus under other shrubs or in full sun?
Photos from galanthus in woods or near rivers... seedlings...

Wim

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #117 on: December 26, 2006, 11:54:13 PM »
hey Wim my front garden is very small. I cant remember the exact measurements so maybe I should measure it again tomorrow. Here is it is winter and summer. The summer photo is looking south and the winter one is looking west. Just added a few extra. Observant people will notice slight changes but the photos are in sequence

« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 12:02:23 AM by mark smyth »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #118 on: December 27, 2006, 12:13:36 AM »
It is clearly the wider opinion that Mark's quoted post was considered helpful. I thought so:  the damn things are just all white to me and I need all the help I can get to distinguish them!!
I felt that the search for information had been expressed and that Mark, as with other forumists all over this site, was adding some info that he felt would be useful. If it seems some further details are warranted, we are all free to make such points, that's what the forum is here for. If I only spoke/wrote when actually asked a specific question I might as well be a Trappist.....I aim to anticipate what further info might be required and add it when I can... I urge you all to do the same.
We might all post something daft at times and when we do, rest assured it WILL be removed since, while friendly banter and joking is all grist to the mill of conversation, even electronically, The Web Team prefers to avoid having to referee in interpersonal spats and we would appreciate if no further remarks were made on the matter brought up by Paddy.
There, the fat woman may not have sung, but it IS over!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

vanhouttewim

« Reply #119 on: December 27, 2006, 12:15:22 AM »
Thank you!

You must have a great time when the snowdrops are flowering. You can see your plants when you're looking through the window...
We have very dark days the last 2 weeks and i will take a photo when the sun comes back.
I will plant my snowdrops next to my new wisteria arbor and the slow growing boxwoods.

Wim

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal