We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus 2006  (Read 58635 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
Re: Galanthus 2006
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2006, 11:02:34 AM »
Johan,

Nice combination of colours in that one.  I have a similar one in my garden as well, although not as much veining as yours has.  That strong star in the middle is rather striking isn't it?  I do grow a lot of Hellebores, so the hellebore sale I mentioned becomes a real chore as there are very very few there that I actually want to purchase.  Finding those in the middle of the morass of people wrestling for everything is just no longer worth it.  I grow a lot from seed (both voluntarily and involunatarily (i.e they come up everywhere in the garden! :)) but don't have the space to grow many to maturity for flowering unfortunately. 

I am currently particularly partial to nice doubles, and aspire one day to acquire a nice double black as I have seen on some of the UK websites for sale (which we unfortunately can't bring into Australia due to our quarantine), plus I am hoping to grow apricots and good yellows as I can find them.  Now if I had a couple of acres of land instead of my small corner block in the suburbs..... I could grow more of everything I like.  But then of course I would just fill that up and then lament not having enough space!!  So goes the curse of my gardening addiction!!  ;D

Now the Galanthus on the other hand are much harder to acquire here and I would be very interested in seed.  I really must get out with a paintbrush myself next winter and try hybridising my own.  I just never seem to get around to it when they are in flower.  I go out and look at them and then completely forget what I was intending to do re crossing them.  They sort of tend to have that affect on me! <sigh>
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2006, 09:33:49 PM »
Mark,

Many thanks for you highlighting work on the list above. Those priced at £25, or thereabouts, strike me as very expensive. I am glad to see G. 'Straffan' listed - a good Irish snowdrop.

Paul,

I am not too sure of this idea of letting snowdrops seed about - fine with the species, or groups of species mixed especially for this purpose but a bad practice, I think, for your named cultivars as they may become mixed up in a group of mixed seedlings.

Now, if we could find some way of delivering some snowdrops to you I'm sure you would have a nice collection in no time. These international regulations are so inconsiderate of us gardeners but, I suppose, we must live by them for the greater good.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2006, 12:41:13 AM »
Paddy,

I agree, it is definitely dangerous letting the Galanthus seed around.  Thankfully in most cases the seedpods fall outwards from the clump which helps somewhat!  :)  I am trying to keep an eye on them, but there is always the risk of something getting in amongst them.  I have removed the pods on many of them but never get the chance to get ALL of them it seems.

The quarantine we have here in Aus has saved us from a lot of rather nasty beasties finding their way to our shores.  I firmly believe in our quarantine and would never bypass it.  I think anyone who DOES is a complete idiot and obviously has no real love of gardening or they wouldn't want to take the chance of introducing something to their collection.  It is truly heartbreaking to have to turn down offers of bulbs (in a couple of cases from some of my wonderful friends up here on the SRGC forums) when I do so  want to grow that particular variety.  :(  But, it is fun from seed in so many cases, and who knows WHAT you'll end up with!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2006, 10:45:55 AM »
Hi Mark

I have not been to a galanthus event - and it seems that I shall be out of the country for next Feb's one.  I am not sure I would like one if it entails jossling and elbowing - I garden to relax and even find the monthly RHS shows in london a bit traumatic with the mad scramble for the plant sales tables.

I think I shall stick to the snowdrop catalogues and swapping with friends - a lot more relaxing than a rugby scrum for plants.  No doubt I shall be missing out on the latest offerings at good prices but will avoid an elbow in the ribs.  ;D

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2006, 10:48:03 AM »
Hi all,

a couple of questions:

1)  If anyone gets the reprint of the snowdrop book could they let me know if it has new pictures - I may end up getting a second copy if there is enough new stuff.

2)  when are the snowdrop company and north green catalogues out?  I can't remember.

thanks

John

« Last Edit: December 05, 2006, 11:43:53 AM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2006, 01:15:28 PM »
1. I've asked but no reply

2. January

John by attending the Gala you dont need to shove. There are still lots of bargains left after the mad rush
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Johan Mens

« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2006, 01:37:54 PM »
Paul,
I'll stick to Galanthus seeds then and hope I can put in some seed from very special ones.
Sadly there are no yellow Hellebores flowering yet for some time, a cross from yellow with the one shown has very good chance on apricot with red centre.
Johan Mens, Belgium

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2006, 10:41:40 PM »
Paul,

One of the delights of this forum is the international variety of its contributors. It is such a pleasure to see plants in flower from the other side of the globe.

Many thanks for the pleasure.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2006, 10:51:43 PM »
Paddy I spoke to Hester tonight and she hopes to come snowdropping with the Northern 3 next February. She also tells me Avon Bulbs, Chris and Allan, are coming to Cork in the Spring

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2006, 04:33:26 PM »
The Book - just a wee ad for some friends
« Last Edit: December 06, 2006, 06:16:19 PM by mark smyth »

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2006, 05:50:25 PM »
Hi Mark

have you received it already?  Or is that an advert?  I have looked at my copy of the first edition and see the same ISBN but a different cover. 

cheers

John

John

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2006, 06:17:30 PM »
John I havent has any official replies to me emails other than to apologise for no reply due to the demand for snowdrops

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2006, 06:25:59 PM »
thanks Mark - hopefully someone will know something soon - I only have 18 days to add it to my Christmas list!...

cheers

John

John

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2006, 12:29:40 AM »
I have to chuckle a little at the advert.... "Reprint of the 2002 classic"..... since when does a 4 year old book become a "classic"?  :o

I also have a copy of the original.  Just love it.  By the sound of it there isn't much by way of addition to the first copy, so i am guessing that I shouldn't rush out and get the new version!!?  :-\
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2006, 05:33:34 AM »
Hi Paul

I hope that they mean 'classic' in the "Serving as the established model or standard" kind of way rather than the "Characteristic of the literature, art, and culture of ancient Greece and Rome" meaning... ;)

I must admit that this book is never far from my side and is definately the 'established standard' for me.

cheers

John
John

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal