We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus 2006  (Read 58648 times)

snowdropman

Re: Galanthus 2006
« Reply #180 on: January 01, 2007, 11:37:52 AM »
John - the bulbs of 'Carolyn Elwes' that are being released by Colesbourne are twin scaled bulbs - these twin scaled bulbs are showing good yellow colouring.
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #181 on: January 01, 2007, 11:55:45 AM »
thanks for the further info Chris.

If any member could take a picture of Carolyn Elwes showing the yellow colour I would be very interested to see (the Galanthus - not the person!).

with kind regards

John

John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

snowdropman

« Reply #182 on: January 01, 2007, 09:14:57 PM »
John - I have no experience of growing snowdrops through a chipped bark mulch but, just as with putting it around shrubs etc, I would imagine that one has to be very careful - my main worry would be that the chipped bark provides a breeding ground for the dreaded slug!
Chris Sanham
West Sussex, UK

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #183 on: January 04, 2007, 03:03:53 AM »
Hi all

thanks for the replies regarding chipped bark.  As my garden is not just for snowdrops - and the fact that the ferns, miniature hostas, hardy orchids and anemones all seem to love the bark, I wanted to continue using it.  With the info provided and having chatted with other gardening contacts I think it is OK for me to use the chipped bark but:

1)  I must not replenish the bark whilst the snowdrops are above ground.  As long as the sheath has grown through the bark this should be protecting the leaves.  If I were to add bark now I would be in danger of the leaves rotting off.  (good thing I asked as I was getting ready to do just the wrong thing this week!)

2)  I must be prepared to keep on the lookout for slugs.  This is something I have always done to keep the miniature hostas looking good.  I am aware of 8 toads that live in my garden (they all get together once a year for .......!  The garden has a wall all around so they have no escape).  I also use the little blue pellets in small quantities around anything special.

3)  Be prepared to put up with every cat for miles around to use the bark as a litter tray (but that happens with most top dressings - doesn't it?)

I shall report back if I have any complete failures with the snowies this year that I can put down to the bark chippings.

thank you for all your advice.

with my best wishes

John
« Last Edit: January 04, 2007, 04:07:02 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal