We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aroids 2011  (Read 5049 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Aroids 2011
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 02:46:27 AM »
I am away at the moment and do not have access to my photographs but I posted a picture of Arum conophalloides var virescens on NARGS on 27 April item 102.It was over a metre tall as rupicola often is. There is also a picture of rupicola there.

http://nargs.org/smf/index.php?topic=204.90
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Peter B

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 09:10:44 AM »
Edit by maggi: Peter's post refers to the query in  http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=7262.msg206614#msg206614

This is Arum rupicola Boiss. sensu lat.  

My treatment of this for the book was based on my fieldwork in Turkey, Cyprus, and Lesbos, but otherwise solely on herbarium material, albeit a great DEAL of material. Throughout this range the plant in the field is the conophalloides morph. I searched for the slender spadix morph (rupicola) in Syria but without success, since in those days (mid 80s) access to the mountainous parts of Syria along the Lebanese and Syrian borders was very difficult.

Ultimately I made my decision to merge all into one taxon, under the earliest name, rupicola and comprising a complex containing the well-known names conophalloides and detruncatum, and a few obscure names such as quellekense and giganteum. In its sensu lat.  manifestation rupicola occurs from Lesbos to NW Iran, N into Armenia, and south as far as the Lebanese Bekaa Valley, and on Cyprus.

What needs to happen is for someone to tackle the species throughout its entire range and take into question the morphologically very similar A. korolkowii and A. jacquemontii that comprise the Rupicola Complex. Based on what I now much better understand than I did 25 years ago the taxa rupicola complex may well be each far too broadly defined
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:13:44 PM by Maggi Young »
Peter Boyce

“Oh, obvious,” said Granny. “I'll grant you it is obvious. Trouble is, just because things are obvious doesn't mean they're true.”

Wyrd Sisters Copyright © 1988 by Terry and Lyn Pratchett

Pascal B

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2011, 12:29:34 PM »
Side by side comparison of 2 forms of Pinellia cordata, the one on the right is the usual form with the unicolor flowers and beetroot red undersides of the leaves, the one on the left is a recently introduced form with green leaves and a reddish spathe. Apart from the colors they are morphologically identical.

Gerhard Raschun

• Gerhard's Orchid site
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2011, 10:26:26 PM »
At the moment the season is finished with the flowering Typhonium giganteum. Here are some picts from my Araceae collection all taken in 2011. The first pict shows my first triple Arisaema hybrid  :D
Gerhard
....from the South of Austria, near the border to Slovenia

www.cypripedium.at

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal