We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Meconopsis betonicifolia, M. grandis (true form) M. nepalensis  (Read 8975 times)

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
I successfully sowed Meconopsis betonicifolia, M. grandis (true form) and M. nepalensis in March of this year and had reasonable germination.  I sowed these in a pre-mixed peat based mix which contains small sized perlite and a little bit of general purpose fertilizer. The ratio of peat to perlite is approximately 5:1.  After germination these pots were placed outside in my unheated cold frame where they get morning sun and afternoon shade.  The difficulty I am having is related to the growth rate of the M. which in my opinion is very slow.  The largest of the plants is about 3-4mm in diameter but most are barely 1-2mm in diameter after 3-1/2 months.

Is this rate of growth normal?  If not, what recommendations would anyone suggest that I do to speed up the rate of growth?
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
Re: Meconopsis betonicifolia, M. grandis (true form) M. nepalensis
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009, 08:20:44 AM »
No it is definitely not normal. Even the two cotyledons should be larger than that. I wonder if your seed is right or if you got weed seed germinating. Unfortunately I have no picture of Meconopsis cotyledons to post and it is the wrong season to find any but they are quite easy to recognize. As I remember it, the cotyledons sit on a stalk that is 3-5mm long and they are 4-6mm long and a couple of mm wide at the base and narrowing towards the tips.
Personally I always sow in a more "natural soil" and try to get them out in the ground as soon as practical. I.e. when they are a couple of centimeters high. After three months they should have leaves at least 5 cm long. They will seed themselves if allowed to.
Avoid high temperatures at all times. it is easy to kill them by using a greenhouse.
I have no idea what you can do they seem to small to transplant.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009, 06:29:43 PM »
Hi, I would try some liquid feeding half strength tomatoe fertiliser is fine plus take some of your seedlings in a bunch and pot them up into different compost may just not have anything left in what the seedlings are growing in, i post a picture of some M. punicea seedlings cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Cgull49

• Rob Stuart
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »
Thanks Göte & Ian - Based on your comments I think I'm lacking nutrients in my mix.  I was planning on posting a picture or two of my pots but when I went to take a picture of them last evening I found that they had been visited earlier by a slug or two.  I knew I should have put some slug bait down sooner.  I'll just have to start again.  Would now be too late to sow them and get them successfully through the winter in an unheated cold frame?  When I sowed them in the spring they germinated within a couple weeks so I would have about 3 mths of growth before the consistently cold weather arrived in November. Regards Rob.
Rob Stuart - Ottawa, Ontario Canada - z5

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009, 06:09:24 PM »
Hi again, I would wait until Feb March to sow again as it is unlikely you would get anything  now,  good luck,   cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 06:23:30 PM »
Hi again, I forgot to say the all Meconopsis betonicifolia are now to be known as M. baileyi which was the origonal name, it seems that true plants of M. betonicifolia are stoloniferus, no plants of the true M. betonicifolia are in cultivation in the U.K. but we have heard that seedlings are around. I like you are very confuse as the plants in cultivation have been around since the late 1920s, I know things must change if we find out that we have been wrong all these years but it is hard to take in,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

gote

• still going down the garden path...
  • A fact is a fact - even if it is an unusual fact
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 03:01:41 PM »
Ian,
I thought that it was only the form with a kind of whorl halfway up that was baileyii and that the more pyramidal form would be betonicifolia. I was shown that one by Evelyn some years ago. I probably overlooked this in one of the group reports - or do you have it from somewhere else.
Cheers
Göte
Göte Svanholm
Mid-Sweden

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 08:52:13 PM »
Hi Gote, A new article written by Chris Grey Wilson in the latest AGS magazine tells all and I have spoken to Chris about this and it is difficult to take in these new changes, cheers Ian.
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 07:12:22 PM »
Hi here is a picture of Meconopsis grandis ex PSW which is flowering in the garden now, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

arisaema

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 07:20:29 PM »
Lovely plant, Ian! You wouldn't by any chance grow the aff. grandis with wine-red flowers from Tromsø? I am curious to know what it looks like, got a small piece of it last summer, but it won't flower for at least another year.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 07:49:55 PM »
Hi, yes I have got the plant not yet out but i guess that it is closer to M.baileyi, will pst a picture when possible, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

arisaema

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 08:50:44 PM »
Thank you, I look forward to it. It's possible we have two different plants, mine has lanceolate leaves and looks closer to M. grandis than M. baileyi.

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 07:53:34 PM »
Hi again an interesting picture but a bit early to tell. I post some pictures taken today Meconopsis grandis from Sikkim and meconopsis purple flowers, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2010, 08:09:55 PM »
We now have many Meconopsis flowering in the garden so here are a few taken recently, cheers Ian the Christie kind.
from Kirriemuir

angie

« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 12:39:45 PM »
Here a few meconopsis flowering in a friends garden.
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal