We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus July 2009  (Read 3816 times)

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
Crocus July 2009
« on: July 12, 2009, 07:43:00 PM »
a very early start in the new Crocus season:
Crocus scharojanii from western Caucasus
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Ragged Robin

• cogent commentator
  • in search of all things wild and wonderful
Re: Crocus July 2009
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 09:52:11 PM »
What a fantastic crocus and a great early start to the season, Dirk  :)
Valais, Switzerland - 1,200 metres - Continental climate - rocks and moraine

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 09:55:44 PM »
Wow! 8) :o
A real golden summer crocus!
Best wishes
Armin

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 08:00:21 AM »
With me blooms a pair of spring crocuses. Secret is that I got them this spring from "down under" - Australia. Autumnals finished shortly before and now are in leaves.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 12:09:54 PM »

Dirk,

What a lovely crocus!
Do you know a source for scharojanii? I have been looking for that for several years, but newer found it.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009, 01:41:18 PM »
author=Janis Ruksans
With me blooms a pair of spring crocuses. Secret is that I got them this spring from "down under" - Australia. Autumnals finished shortly before and now are in leaves.
Janis

Janis , what a coincidence , I have the same 2 Crocus in flower in my garden today as you have in your Northern Hemisphere one.
 Brian Mathew sent me the C. minimus albus some 30 years ago , it has done well here and I have been able to spread it amongst other keen Crocus growers - one of the joys of gardening .

Otto.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009, 01:59:31 PM by Maggi Young »
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »
author=Janis Ruksans
Janis

Janis , what a coincidence , I have the same 2 Crocus in flower in my garden today as you have in your Northern Hemisphere one.
 Brian Mathew sent me the C. minimus albus some 30 years ago , it has done well here and I have been able to spread it amongst other keen Crocus growers - one of the joys of gardening .

Otto.
What a wonderful trip - from UK to Australia and back to North, only to Latvia.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2009, 11:41:12 AM »
While repotting yesterday I found many Crocus with fresh roots. Crocus nudiflorus 'Orla' has well developed noses already. A couple broke off while I was sieving the pot contents.

Some Crocus have done great like some small non flowering corms I got last year. They were small but they now look large enough to flower.

Others, C. kot. 'Zephyr' have broken down to dozens of tiny corms
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2009, 10:00:52 PM »
Beautiful Crocus scharojanii. I've not seen this before I think. The seedlings I grew as that were something else> :'(

I can see we are in danger of getting thoroughly confused very soon, with autumn crocuses in the north, winter/spring crocuses in the south and species which have travelled from one hemisphere to the other flowering in both places at the same time 8) :D :D :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 07:55:20 AM »
Beautiful Crocus scharojanii. I've not seen this before I think. The seedlings I grew as that were something else> :'(

Yes it is a beauty. I have been searching for that for years. Some years ago I finally found them, and bought some corms immediately. I was very happy until they turned out to be 'just' banaticus :( I contacted the dealer with the bad news. He assured me that other customers had got the real thing. I was just unlucky that all of my 3 corms was a wrong species. Unfortunately it was sold out, and I have never seen them since. As a compensation I got 3 Galanthus peshmenii. After one season they were destroyed by the narcissus fly >:( Just bad luck!

By the way, how does a crocus bought in the northern hemisphere react when it comes to New Zealand? How many years does it take to turn the seasons?

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 10:30:42 PM »
There's no one pattern for all bulbs Poul, when they're transported from one hemisphere to the other. Some settle immediately and flower in their right season, other will take a year to change around, some take two or even three years. Most crocuses will flower at what would be their "normal" time then die down quickly and come up again in the right time for the new place. It's very much a guessing game for the poor grower. In general, herbaceous plants are much easier to "acclimatize"
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 09:36:01 PM »
How did I miss commenting about Crocus scharojanii  :o
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 05:18:46 AM »
I can see we are in danger of getting thoroughly confused very soon, with autumn crocuses in the north, winter/spring crocuses in the south and species which have travelled from one hemisphere to the other flowering in both places at the same time 8) :D :D :D
I've posted some pics from Marcus Harvey on the SH thread: http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=3947.30;topicseen
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 07:28:35 PM »
...... and very nice they were too Fermi
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2009, 05:13:34 AM »
A 25 year old slide of Crocus gargaricus ssp. herbertii EMR1209 , a Martyn Rix collection in the sixties of which Martyn sent me seeds then. It multyplied with great vigour by stolons ,
 it must have covered about one square meterin its heyday -but now unfortunately has dwindled away to a few corms . Is anyone still growing this particular number?
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal